VMware Cloud Community
dejanrodiger
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare VirtualCenter server 5.1.0a fails to start after reboot

Hi,

I am creating my new lab. I installed VM's for DC, SQL2008R2 and vCenter.

I had problems with installing SSO on vcenter server, which I finally resolved.

I installed vCenter Server and it was working OK, until I restarted the server. In the mean time I added more memory to vCenter VM, but it should not have any influence, since vCenter SSO service is starting without problems. SQL is on different server and is started.

Only VMWare VirtualCenter Server and VMWare VirtualCenter Management WebServices are failing to start with vendord specific error 2.

vpxd.log is attached.

Am I the only one who thinks VMWare made new vCenter installation too complicated?

Thanks

-- Dejan
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Asnivor
Contributor
Contributor

Aparently making any hardware changes to your VC server can cause vcenter service's connection to SSO to fail.

Try this:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=203617...

"Restarting the machine where SSO is installed may result in changes to the system.
For example, when updates are applied to the operating system, the machine name changes, or the machine is added or removed from an Active Directory domain. These changes prevent the SSO server from starting and, as a result, vCenter Server does not start.
In addition, if you clone or change the parameters of a virtual machine where SSO is installed (such as the amount of RAM), the number of CPUs, the MAC address, and SSO fails to start."
0 Kudos
spravtek
Expert
Expert

Besides what Asnivor mentions, you have following in your error log: [Vpxd::ServerApp::Init] Init failed: Ldap error

Check if your DNS is configured correclty, can you resolve the FQDN correctly?

1. Verify that the vCenter Server can resolve the FQDN of the Active Directory server using the nslookup command in a Windows command prompt. 
  2. Ensure that the Active Directory server is running and accessible from the vCenter Server machine.
0 Kudos
dejanrodiger
Contributor
Contributor

Asnivor: Tried that and it didn't help.

spravtek: I was looking at LDAP problem from AD perspective. (DNS is working A/PTR are configured using DHCP DDNS)

I even added "LAB\vcadmin" (AD user under which VMWare VirtualCenter server Service is running) into Domain Admins, because I thought it is trying to change something in LDAP/AD.

-- Dejan
0 Kudos
spravtek
Expert
Expert

The error in your log looks remarkably like the error in this KB: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102479...

Might be interesting?

dejanrodiger
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Your answer helped me to find the problem. It was similar to problem you pointed out.

It wasn't com.vmware.vcIntegrity key in ADSI Edit. vpxd-xx.log pointed me that I have instance of service created with name CN=5a58bc84-5f0e-4cd1-933e-70b3cfad4937 and because of the existing instance, it is failing to create new instance with same name.

So, the resolution was:

Open ADSI Edit, Connect with same info from your link (Eg localhost:389...)

Open "DC=virtualcenter,dc=vmware,dc=int", open "OU=Instances", not "OU=Health". Delete container "CN=5a58bc84-5f0e-4cd1-933e-70b3cfad4937"

Thank you

Dejan

-- Dejan
0 Kudos
spravtek
Expert
Expert

Super!

Good find, thanks for getting back with the solution to your problem!

0 Kudos