VMware Cloud Community
rajkn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWare VSphere licensing question

Hello,

Apologies if this is not the right forum. Please move this question to right forum if needed.

Here is the question -.

1. I work in Test Environment and I have 3 engineers who maintain separate ESX server pools. I am planning to get 3 separate vCenter licenses for them since they need to manage their pools separately. Is that a correct call?

2. One of the 3 engineers need to use VDIS and Storage VMotion. So I am planning to vSphere Enterprise Plus license for her. Will this be license be associated uniquely to her vCenter or can I use this license on multiple ESX servers for all 3 engineers if needed in future (even if they use different vCenters)?

3. The license requirement says 1 Processor or 12 cores. Does that mean that I can use this license for 1 ESX system with 12 cores or 12 ESX systems with single core? Or any combination?

~rajkn
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I am planning to get 3 separate vCenter licenses for them since they need to manage their pools separately. Is that a correct call?

Nope. You add their servers / VM's to a pool. Give them rights to their pool (or server). vCenter can manage 200 ESX hosts and like 5000 VM's, even from a VM, so you only need 1 vCenter license.

If you want to waste your money on more vCenter licenses, that's up to you, but you don't need it.

One of the 3 engineers need to use VDIS and Storage VMotion. So I am planning to vSphere Enterprise Plus license for her. Will this be license be associated uniquely to her vCenter or can I use this license on multiple ESX servers for all 3 engineers if needed in future (even if they use different vCenters)?

License is PER ESX host, vCenter doesn't care. It only needs a vCenter agent to MANAGE the ESX host.

The license requirement says 1 Processor or 12 cores. Does that mean that I can use this license for 1 ESX system with 12 cores or 12 ESX systems with single core? Or any combination?

Licenses are PER socket. Doesn't matter if you have 1 core socket or 12 (but I thought the current license was limited to 6 core, after that its 2 licenses per socket). You buy 2 licenses (assuming 2 sockets) per host. There is no mixing and matching.

0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert

1. Typically you will buy 1 vCenter instance and Enterprise Plus per CPU socket for hosts that you add to it

2. I am not sure why you would want to use vNetwork Distributed switches if you are only using it for one server as it is a switch that goes across multiple hosts?

3. 1 ESX license entitles you to install ESX on one 1CPU socket. So if you have 2 CPU sockets then you get 2 licenses. Cores only matter with regard to how many core VMware will allow you to have in that 1 CPU socket.

-MattG

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Your post has been moved to the vCenter Server forum.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos