VMware Cloud Community
grex827
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Update Manager question - VC 2.5

I recently upgraded our VC version from 2.0.2 to 2.5 to accomodate our soon to be deployed ESX 3.5 hosts. I would very much like to utilize Update Manager, but I have two problems, which are somewhat related, which pertain to our network.

We have no connectivity to the internet. This poses two issues: 1) I cannot download and install the plugin via the VI Cleint, so that I can use UM. Is there any place I can obtain this plugin and install it manually? 2) Assuming I can get the plugin installed, and being that I have no internet connectivity, if I were to download the patches manually, and push them to the proper directory on our servers with VI, would this work using UM? I realize this would not be nearly as seemless as having an internet connection (which I am fighting for) but would still be better than the alternative, which is still downloading the patches manually, but also ftp'ing them to each individual host, and writing scripts to execute the patches.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

First of all, the plugin will do you no good, considering its designed to download the patches, and you manage them with the plug-in. You pretty much need the internet for the patches, you are elminating a very large part of what "automated updates" is all about.

You are much better off using this:http://www.vmts.net/VMTSPatchManager.htm

Upload the patches to another server, and use that product to push them to the server.

0 Kudos
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert

1. you can install the update manager with the iso image you download from vmware for virtual center. the plugin is able to be downloaded internally from the virtual center itself.

2. To best manage your update manager, you should run the schedule update in the virtual center to download the patches to the speficy folder you define during the update manager installation. If you wish to do manually, you can try to copy those patches you downloaded and place it in the folder you define during the setup. I had not tried this before, but I think the chances are there to work.

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos