VMware Cloud Community
Steve_Hummel
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Update Manager had a failure

Hi,

I have recently installed the VMWare Update Manager. I have been able to get some of the ESX patches to install, but keep getting a series of errors in the process. Sometimes a few of the patches will install, sometimes not. In each case I get the following errors:

An error occurred while communicating with the remote host.

A general system error occurred: Invalid fault.

VMWare Update Manager had a failure.

In the Update manager events list I get "Failed to install update" and then "Remediation failed for host: SingleHostRemediate: Unknown Host Error:"

Any ideas on how to track down the root cause?

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
13 Replies
mphodge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm having the same problem... for no apparent reason some hosts in the cluster decide to update and some don't.

These VC error messages are great aren't they - "had a failure" ... no kiddin?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Check the logs under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Logs

They should have more information about the problem.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
jaygriffin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have been having this problem. Worked with on Vmware engineer for 2 weeks and he couldn't fix it. I called and opened a new case and this engineer fixed it in 5 minutes:

C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\vci-integrity.xml

In those hostconfig section changed:

<PatchDepotUrl></PatchDepotUrl>

to

<PatchDepotUrl>http://10.1.0.176:80/vci/hostupdates/hostupdate</PatchDepotUrl>

were 10.1.0.176 is the IP of the VC server.

J-D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

He changed it to an IP-address so maybe it was just a DNS issue? Check DNS to see if your ESX'es are using lower cases and check the /etc/hosts at every ESX to know if there is some inconsistency.

In my setups I always put all ESX's and Virtual Center server in the hosts-files.

0 Kudos
jaygriffin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No - if you look there was NOTHING in there, so he added the VC machine and patch.

0 Kudos
Steve_Hummel
Contributor
Contributor

I will try this and see if it helps.

I found that although the error occured, the ESX host was still in the process of downloading and installing the patches. You can see the network activity in the performance tab and if you check /var/log/vmware/esxupdate.log, you can see the progress.

0 Kudos
Neiiendam
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for this!

Worked for me... (I had the problem "only" in two of my three datacenters within VC, which I found very odd but modifying PatchDeportUrl solved it)

:smileygrin:

0 Kudos
Ph_Seifert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @all,

I have the same problems which mentioned here in this thread. So i fixed the DepotPath and everything works fine at the moment. I opened a call by VMware but they could not solve the problem. The error messages from the VC not realy meaningful. I also uninstalled the Update Manager Plugin U2 und U3 and installed it new by activating it in the VC. So I hope that my problem is now solved. Thanks for everybody who written down something in this thread.

kind regards

Philipp

0 Kudos
MetallicWood
Contributor
Contributor

I was getting this and turned out that the Service Console was missing the default gateway.

0 Kudos
omm
Contributor
Contributor

I've same problem, l tried to update manually(esxupdate command from service console) and receive this error

"Integrity Error that includes “Signature 0BFA1C860F0B0A6CF5CD5D2AEE7835B14789B619: keyExpired: 4789B619″

after i relaunch esxupdate comman with --nosig  parameter and works fine

0 Kudos
omm
Contributor
Contributor

install manually (esxupdate with --nosig parameter from scervice console) following patches:

ESX350-201012404-BG

ESX350-201012410-BG

After installed this patches Update Manager GUI interface works fine

0 Kudos
wuffers
Contributor
Contributor

If anyone is looking for concise steps to patch your host for this error within the VIC, I've written a post here:

http://wuffers.net/2011/06/21/vmware-update-manager-had-a-failure

0 Kudos
gparker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi wuffers, you're a lifesaver. I've been tearing out what's left of my hair trying to resolve this issue. Thanks for posting your artical Smiley Happy

Regards,

George.

0 Kudos