VMware Cloud Community
Ryan_Witschger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMWare License Merge?

Hello all,

I just joined a new company and one of the things I've picked up is their VMWare ESX enviornment. The guy that managed it before me is no longer with the company.

It is time for me to add some new licenses to our VirtualCenter server, so I made an account and activated the licenses, but I can't find a way to merge the license file I have with the existing one.

Is there a document that someone can point me to to take over the licensing for this company?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you upgrade to VirtualCenter 2.0.1 patch 2 you can start to use a license folder and just place both licenses into the same folder rather than having to edit them.

http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/vc-201-200702-patch.html

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you upgrade to VirtualCenter 2.0.1 patch 2 you can start to use a license folder and just place both licenses into the same folder rather than having to edit them.

http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/vc-201-200702-patch.html

0 Kudos
Ryan_Witschger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We were actually already on this patch level, so that made life easier. There is a registry change that I had to make that was provided in the documentation on your link. After that I was able to very easily apply the new licenses.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
ccockle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We are a VI3.0.1, VC2 sp2 , multi-client shop and each client buys their own ESX, DRA, HA etc licenses and we'd like to use only 1 license server to manage all.

Is this possible?

I can't see any reason why we can't fire up other license servers and then point the appropriate hosts to their respective license server but I thought I would put it to the masses for your comments.

0 Kudos
KNardi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes... you can use 1 license server for all your clients.

We have the same setup. One license server.. many different divisions.

Just create seperate DataCenters and Clusters

You will create ONE huge license file and continue to add to the bottom as you recieve new licenses.

Our License server is a stand along Physical server (recommended by VMWARE) with SQL server running on it. Don't use MSDE, it's just not robust enough

0 Kudos