VMware Cloud Community
pviqueira
Contributor
Contributor

VMOTION, HA and DRS

Hello,

I'm trying to configure these functionalities in my office.

I have two esx hosts installed in 2 x HP DL 380 G5 servers connected to a SAN HP MSA 500 G2.

I want to prove both types of vmware´s cluster:

• HA

• DRS

First, I am going to make a cluster with these hosts. Is there any way to remain vm outside the cluster? ( I don´t like spending the entire two hosts resources in the cluster, I have vm that I would like to be inside the cluster but I have another vm that don't need any redundancy and don´t need in cluster).

If I have to make a cluster anyway, can I establish what VM could be moved to the other node and what should remain always in the same node?.

Second, If I want to configure VMotion, Do I need to create a cluster with my two hosts before?.

Regards

Pablo

0 Kudos
4 Replies
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

First, I am going to make a cluster with these hosts. Is there any way to remain vm outside the cluster? ( I don´t like spending the entire two hosts resources in the cluster, I have vm that I would like to be inside the cluster but I have another vm that don't need any redundancy and don´t need in cluster).

No - VM will have to be hosted on one of the clustered servers.

>If I have to make a cluster anyway, can I establish what VM could be moved to the other node and what should remain always in the same node?.

Yes you can configure this if DRS is configured on the cluster. On one VM it can be set to be fully automated (migrate from host to host as needed), and on the VM that is not to be moved you could configure it to be disabled or manual - it wont move off the host.

>Second, If I want to configure VMotion, Do I need to create a cluster with my two hosts before?.

I'm not sure - have always had vmotion enabled before creating a cluster. However for DRS to work in a cluster scenario you need VMotion.

weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

java'a answers are correct - to add about vmotion - no you do not need a cluster to vmotion betqeen hosts - the only thing that is required they need to be in the same datacenter object in virtual center -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
oosts
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to configure the same architecture (2 x HP DL 380 G5 servers connected to a SAN HP MSA 500 G2) without success. How did you physically connect the HP DL 380 to the MSA 500 ?

Regards,

0 Kudos
jlane
Contributor
Contributor

I'd like to know that answer as well. I've got 4 DL360 servers and an MSA 500G2 with dual SCSI ports connected to two of the servers. I'd like to know how to set up the MSA to be accessible by both servers so I can utilize vMotion etc. Thanks.

0 Kudos