VMware Cloud Community
Bill_Ramby1
Contributor
Contributor

VMKUsage and Reports

Ok, so VMKUsage isn't in ESX3.0.x. I know this. But now my customer cannot get their pretty (and I must say, extremely handy) HTML reports that they came to depend on. Has anyone got a new solution/tool for this?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
bretti
Expert
Expert

Is your customer running Virtual Center? You can export to xls from there then probably save as html. Or they can get real time performance on demand right through the VC interface. Does that help?

0 Kudos
Bill_Ramby1
Contributor
Contributor

Not really though the suggestion is appreciated. With vmkusage, they didn't have to have the VIC client installed (i.e it could be checked from any machine on the network with a browser).

Sadly their "problem" is now my problem.

0 Kudos
bretti
Expert
Expert

Is it just the html format they are looking for?

Sounds like you already know that you can connect to the host with the VI Client directly and still see performance.

Have you looked at ESX Charter from Vizioncore?

0 Kudos
Bill_Ramby1
Contributor
Contributor

Right. I know that, it's the customer access that is the issue. They actually don't want the VI client. They want to type in a web site and get the latest stats. I could do it manually (update a web site) but thats added cost to having the vmkusage working.

I haven't looked at ESX Charter, but I will now. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Bill_Ramby1
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like ESX Charter requires a client install too.

0 Kudos
bretti
Expert
Expert

With Charter you can schedule the reports and publish them to some shared resource. Although not in html. It could be done, but would take some money and some setup time.

0 Kudos
Bosco
Contributor
Contributor

We have the same issue since we upgraded to VI3, although the reason was different ...our on-call personnel (administrators) will need to have a peek in all hosts remotely quickly in real-time. VMkusage has been doing a very good job to allow them to respond. Now, we no longer have that.

Bosco

0 Kudos
kchawk
Contributor
Contributor

Did you every find anything?

I have started writing php code to read info off the VC db, using FreeTDS and Redhat, and it is working great.

Just wandering though before I get to far into if you have found anything else.

Here is a quick snap of the homepage, maybe dashboard.

0 Kudos
meistermn
Expert
Expert

Use the unnoc Appliance.

With this you will have HTML reports

0 Kudos