VMware Cloud Community
Leedymfg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMCenter Auto Backup

We are currently trying to figure out how VCenter works. I have copyed over the network a few workstations to VM through Vcenter i was wondering if there is any way to automatically backup machines over night? In near future i want to backup our servers as a VM automatically, then if any go down i can just deploy the VM back to the phisical server. I would post this in Vcenter discussion but for some reason it wont let me start a new discussion?

Thanks,

Lance DeWitt,

IT at Leedy Mfg co LLC.

PS: We have workstation 8 and vcenter standalone

Lance DeWitt, IT at Leedy Mfg Co LLC.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
12 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - I have moved the discussion -

Are you looking at backing up vCenter or the VMs hosted in your environment?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Leedymfg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks,

I am looking at keeping an updated Virtual machine of a phisical machine( or server) . IE Everyday i want a phisical machine made into a vm for a backup then hevan forbit a server or workstation go down, i can then take the backup VM and deploy it back to the server or workstation with little down time. Im sorry if my words are confusing or improper, i am new to using VMCenter.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are many backup products, one of which is VMware's own, vDR There are plenty of 3rd party vendors such as PHD Virtual, Veeam, etc....

0 Kudos
Leedymfg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I cant capture backups via vCenter and deploy them back?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you would backup the guest.  In the event you need to revert to your backups, you would just restore from backup and power on the guest.

However, I'm not 100% sure I fully understand your question, so my apologies.

0 Kudos
Leedymfg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No problem im sure im not making it easy for you guys to understand :smileyconfused: But here i go trying to explain:

I have Vmware vCenter Converter Standalone.

I have copyed a physical machine to my machine as a virtual.

I want to deploy the Virtual back to the physical machine but am clueless on how to do so.

I have "convert machine" to copy the physical machine and make it a virtual on my machine.

Then i have "Configure machine" to try to send the VM copyed back to the machine i copyed it from. But for some reason it doesn't allow me to select a mac address or ip address to deploy it to.

I beleive i am doing somthing wrong. I hope telling you what i have all done gives you a better perspective of what im trying to do, Hopfully. Smiley Happy

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have Vmware vCenter Converter Standalone.

I have copyed a physical machine to my machine as a virtual.

I want to deploy the Virtual back to the physical machine but am clueless on how to do so.

You want to take the VM you just created and convert it back to run under an ESX Host?  Or you want to take that VM and do a virtual to physical migration?  Meaning that VM would then run as the bare metal OS.  If this is the case, there are no tools, that I am aware of, from VMware that will allow you to do this.  There are 3rd party tools, like platespin, but they are expensive.

If you are simply trying to take the VM and convert it over to run as a guest under ESX.  When you run converter, your source will be "VMware Workstation or other VMware virtual machine" (browse to the vmx file).  Destination will be "VMware Infrastructure virtual machine".

0 Kudos
Leedymfg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think im gona have to research on how to set a esxi host up.

"do a virtual to physical migration"

this is what im trying to do

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the end result is you want the VM to remain a VM or become become the OS on new hardware?

0 Kudos
Leedymfg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I want the VM to be deployed to be the OS on the new hardware

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

then you'll need to look at PlateSpin

https://www.netiq.com/products/migrate//

0 Kudos
Leedymfg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the prompt responces wow you are on top of everything i appreciate your help very much, Im talking to the president and head IT were debaiting on this software thanks.

Gave you the correct answer for points also. Thanks again.

0 Kudos