VMware Cloud Community
radu_dinut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VM still appears in inventory after removing it

Hi guys.

I have a VM that I cold migrated to another ESX server with a different name. After the VC registered the VM with the new name it failed to remove from the inventory the old name. It appears as a powered off VM, but no files regarding this old VM are present on the datastore. When I'm trying to remove it from the inventory it says: "A general system error occured: Invalid fault." The same thing happens if I connect directly to the ESX server, so I'm inclined to believe it's something wrong with the ESX server rather than VC.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

try restarting the VC agent and the MGMT service on the host with the ophaned VM

service vmware-vpxa restart

service mgmt-vmware restart

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
csteam
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I've had this problem before I've had to log into the ESX server that it was on and remove it from the inventory there, did you try logging into all of the ESX servers and seeing if the VM was running on any other servers?

0 Kudos
radu_dinut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by loggin to the ESX server. If you mean connecting with the Virtual Client directly to the ESX server, then yes, I tried that. The VM is there and the same error occurs when I try to remove it. If you mean log in through SSH (putty) then no, I didn't, I'm not sure where to look. By all means, if this is what you meant then share away :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

try restarting the VC agent and the MGMT service on the host with the ophaned VM

service vmware-vpxa restart

service mgmt-vmware restart

0 Kudos
radu_dinut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you so much, it worked. Though I'm not sure why this VM was kept in the inventory even after rebooting the ESX.

0 Kudos