VMware Cloud Community
jhiraldo
Contributor
Contributor

VM showing up as Invalid

I had a vm that was displaying as invalid and I couldn't open the console to view it or do anything with it.

SSH, and other services were working on the vm, so I log in to the host to check the state and it said off, weird.

I don't know what was wrong with the vm, why it was showing up as invalid, state off, and all the services working.

It was like a zombie, a living dead vm. Anyways the fix was to vmotion it to another host and everything was back to normal.

Anyone has any idea why would this happen and how can I prevent it.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
karavinds1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Do you receive any heartbeat alert from vcenter? Also update the VM tools, if applicable.

Regards,

Aravind K

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

Regards, Aravind K If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

have you tried to restart the vCener Service and/or the management agents of the ESX(i) Host where the VM was/is registered?

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert

I have this same issue with a VM. I've restarted the VC agent on the host (service mgmt-vmware restart). The VM got stuck powering down.

0 Kudos