VMware Cloud Community
Smitty23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM's with Same Name Listed in VC

Hi All,

So I'm in the process of moving some VM's to new LUN's, and noticed there are 2 VM's with the same name in my vCenter list. In the vCenter properties, the disks point to different LUN's, so they appear to be independant. Has anyone experienced this? I didnt think it was possible to have the same name. I've looked through the Tasks and Events on both VM's but nothing stands out.

Thanks,

Brent

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

the underlying disk files have a different name? Your vCenter object names should match your underlying disk names. You won't be able to add another VM into inventory with the same object name.

0 Kudos
Smitty23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, the actual VM listed in VC has the exact same object name. I've tried highlighting it to see if there is a space, a 0 is an O, but nope, its the exact same object name. Unfortunately I can't paste a screenshot due to company policy on server names. The are located on different ESX Servers as well, referencing different VMDK files, just share the exact same object name. I thought something may have got messed up with a clone or something, but I dont see any tasks to indicate this. Obviously the VM was created somehow though.

0 Kudos
kcollo
Contributor
Contributor

I have seen this happen a few times. Mainly when someone restores a serve via VCB and does not change the name on restore. Either way, everytime I have seen duplicate hosts, they run completely independent from each other. If on is not is use, you should be able to just right click on the VM in VI client and tell it to remove. We have also had VMs renamed and found that all the files on the LUN did not inherit the name change.

Smitty23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks guys. We dont use VCB, but I agree, I think its safe to just remove it. Its just really weird since no new VM's can be created with an existing name, so I was kind of baffled.

0 Kudos