VMware Cloud Community
fcuforlife
Contributor
Contributor

VM not found on host refID 3

I have really tried everything and anything but it can't seem get it to work.

With Veeam, I have made a backup of all my ESX hosts (VMS).

After that I have delete one of the VMS and restored it, works fine.

But when I want to test a folder/file restore on the restored VMS I get;

I have tried the same procedure with another VMS, same problem;

VM not found on host refID 9

I know what the problem is, but I can't find the solution, have googled all day now :smileycry:.

Please help me! Smiley Sad

Kind regards.

Marc.

Holland.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
ch1ta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi, Marc.

Did you open a ticket with Veeam support team, since it’s the fastest way you can resolve your issues.

By the way, what type of file-level restore you’re using – Windows-OS or Other-OS? If you have already tried the first one, you can put into use the second one and see what happens.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
fcuforlife
Contributor
Contributor

windows os.

0 Kudos
fcuforlife
Contributor
Contributor

I wil open ticket

0 Kudos
ch1ta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The problem is that Veeam Backup & Replication can’t find original VM, that’s why you aren’t able to utilize “Restore” functionality.

In this case, the recommended way is to use “Copy-to” option. Or, as I’ve mentioned previously, to leverage Other-OS restoration method.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
fcuforlife
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I know, that the vm cannot be found Smiley Wink

Copy to, does work but does not show the restored files, grrrr...

But there must be a solution so Veeam can see/find the vm otherwise, veeam is useless...

0 Kudos
fcuforlife
Contributor
Contributor

The other OS restore I can't test now, backup job is running Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
fcuforlife
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the lot of emails Smiley Wink

If you can't do I file/folder restore, you need to set the complete VM back, thats never a secure option.

A VM, that hasn't been restored, the file/folder restore works fine!

But that is also no option, because if you have to set back a complete VM, after that, the file/folder restore won't work anymore.

There must be a solution for this...

VMotion won't fix the problem btw.

It's the same as sidd ids in ad.

The VM loses his unique id, due to the complete restore.

Sucks.

0 Kudos
ch1ta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I’m wondering what you’ve meant by “Copy to, does work but does not show the restored files”. May I ask you to shed some light on it?

VB&R always creates a new VM id if the VM is no longer in inventory due to the fact VMware API doesn’t support creating a VM from scratch with a specific ID. ID can only be preserved in case of restoring back to the original location with VM being still represented in inventory. So, this issue can’t be addressed by Veeam itself.

And, by the way, am I completely wrong in considering that Full-VM restore isn’t something that happens very often and that issues related to it shouldn’t bother that much? As for me, it’s more than enough to have “Copy-to” option in this case, as well as, “Restore” functionality after having done new Full-backup.

Additionally, I’m pretty sure that support team has some ace in the hole, that is likely to help you (time-proved solution).

Thanks.

0 Kudos
fcuforlife
Contributor
Contributor

Its very simple, I do copy to, no error, but the restored files are not there, lol, not.

VB&R always creates a new VM id if the VM is no longer in inventory due to the fact VMware API doesn’t support creating a VM from scratch with a specific ID. ID can only be preserved in case of restoring back to the original location with VM being still represented in inventory. So, this issue can’t be addressed by Veeam itself.

I know.

No, full vm restore does not comes often, but when it does, the option, file/folder restore won't work anymore, that's not a option.

I will trying to search for a solution, but I find it a major BUG!

And as said, I can't test now, because backup is running.

I am going on vacation now.

Thx, so far, hope that you will fix my problem.

BTW, its for all Veeam users a major problem.

Kind regards, we stay in contact.

Marc.

0 Kudos
ch1ta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Let support team investigates why “Copy to” functionality does behave so strangely, since it obviously shouldn’t work like that. Additionally, I’m pretty sure that not only will they be able to address this particular issue, but also they’ll help you to solve the problem as a whole.

By now, you can try this method. Use Windows Explorer instead of the Veeam File Browser to restore the files:

• Start the normal "Guest Files (Windows)" restore wizard in VB&R
  • Open Windows Explorer (while leaving the Veeam File Browser up)
  • Browse to C:\VeeamFLR\<servername>\<volume#\
  • Copy the files out

As to the “BUG” itself, the reason why “file/folder restore” doesn’t work after Full-VM restore lies in the way VMware API works. But you’ve already known it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
fcuforlife
Contributor
Contributor

Thx man gonna try that if that works awesome!!!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 21 dec. 2012 om 15:50 heeft ch1ta <communities-emailer@vmware.com<mailto:communities-emailer@vmware.com>> het volgende geschreven:

VMware Communities<http://communities.vmware.com/index.jspa>

reply from ch1ta<http://communities.vmware.com/people/ch1ta> in VMware vCenter™ Server - View the full discussion<http://communities.vmware.com/message/2168164#2168164

0 Kudos
ch1ta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I hope it would help you.

Keep me informed about your case, and don’t hesitate to let me know if any additional support is needed.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
fcuforlife
Contributor
Contributor

K thx!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 21 dec. 2012 om 16:47 heeft ch1ta <communities-emailer@vmware.com<mailto:communities-emailer@vmware.com>> het volgende geschreven:

VMware Communities<http://communities.vmware.com/index.jspa>

reply from ch1ta<http://communities.vmware.com/people/ch1ta> in VMware vCenter™ Server - View the full discussion<http://communities.vmware.com/message/2168169#2168169

0 Kudos