VMware Cloud Community
LTim
Contributor
Contributor

VM Uptime not displayed in VC

Since the upgrade of my VC server to 2.5, some of my Virtual Machines (15 out of 25 VM) don't display anymore their Uptime. (I think that the VMs that still display the uptime are VMs that didn't vmotion since the upgrade)

The value is still well monitored because I can see it from the system performance charts.

I'm running VC 2.5 with 3.0.2 hosts having all the latest patches. I already upgraded VMware tools inside the VM, restarted the VC server services, restarted the hosts, ...

Anyone can help me ?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
CLowe
Contributor
Contributor

I've got the same problem except I am running VC 2.5 and ESX 3.5 . After we did the upgrade from 3.0.2 to 3.5 I know the uptimes were all showing, it's just in the last 3 weeks that they started disappearing.

0 Kudos
SReuter
Contributor
Contributor

We have exact the same problem here with VC 2.5 and ESX 3.5u1

Uptime for vmotioned machines is empty on the "Virtual Machines" Tab of the ESX Server.

But it is reported correctly in the "System"-Graph of the virtual machine in question.

Powercycling the virtual machine corrects the problem for that particular VM.

0 Kudos
CLowe
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like ours are starting to show the uptime again after we reboot the vm's.

:

0 Kudos
SReuter
Contributor
Contributor

Just restarting the Guest OS in not enough. You really have to shut down the VM (power it off) and then power it on again.

I have tested this some minutes ago.

0 Kudos
dfernholz
Contributor
Contributor

I have this same issue. Once I shut them down and power it on it fixes the issue. Then if a VM is vmotioned to another host the Uptime goes away again and needs to be powered off to see this info again. Does anyone know why this happens or how to fix it?

0 Kudos
chrisAMS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You should verify that all VM are on the same hour configuration.

ssh connect and type: service mgmt-vmware restart

you can let all VM live no problem

0 Kudos
bradley4681
Expert
Expert

Since you've upgraded have you upgraded the tools install within the guests?

Cheers,

Bradley Sessions

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Cheers! If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
SReuter
Contributor
Contributor

Since you've upgraded have you upgraded the tools install within the guests?

We have this issue since the initial install of ESX 3.5u1. All guests have the current tools installed.

It's just easy to explain: VMotion a VM and the uptime display in the VC vanishes, but is still OK in the Performance graph.

Powercycle the machine and it appears again correctly.

0 Kudos
Bart_Verbruggen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have also the same issue, but we don't have the update 1 installed. For the moment we patched up to ESX3.5 build 77234.

If we connect my VI client to my ESX cluster, the uptime of the machines is not present, but if we connect the VI client directly to the ESX host, there all of the machines running on that host have the uptime correctly displayed.

Maybe a bug in VI?

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks! Bart
0 Kudos
chrisAMS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You should verify that all VM are on the same hour configuration.

ssh connect and type: service mgmt-vmware restart

you can let all VM live no problem

0 Kudos
Bart_Verbruggen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok this works for the VM that are currently running on the host, but it does a reset of the uptime coutner and when you vmotion another VM to that host, you will still loose the uptime counter.

This is not a permanent solution.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks! Bart
0 Kudos
CLowe
Contributor
Contributor

Most of them have the upgraded tools but it does not seem to make any difference.

0 Kudos
IRQ2006
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Greetings,

Same issue here after upgrading to VI3, I agree, it seems that the uptime disappears after the vmotion.

Below my versions and builds numbers, update 4 has been applied on all esx hosts

I appreciate any update if someone managed to find a fix for this issue.

VMware Infrastructure Client : Version 2.5.0,Build 119598

VMware VirtualCenter : Version 2.5.0, Build 119598

VMware ESX Server : 3.5.0, Build/patch level 153875

0 Kudos