VMware Cloud Community
Pennguino
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM Tools Upgrade

I am running VC 2.5 and 1 ESX 3.5 and 3 ESX 3.0.2. I am vmotioning VM's off the older version onto the new 3.5 ESX and then rebuild the older ESX Server. Just leap frog them until all are 3.5. I have two VM's (Test boxes) on the new ESX 3.5. I want to upgrade all VM's on that ESX HOST to the new tools. Current VM Tools version is 52542 and the upgraded version is 64607. According to the vi3_35_25_admin_guide.pdf page 163:

1 Launch the VI client and log in to the VirtualCenter server.

2 Select the Inventory > Hosts and Clusters view.

3 Select the host or cluster that contains the virtual machines you want to upgrade.

4 Select the Virtual Machines tab.

5 Select the virtual machines you want to upgrade and power them off.

6 Right‐click your selections and select Install/Upgrade Tools.

Now if I power the VM's down the Install/Upgrade VMWare Tools is greyed out. That option is only available when the VM is powered on.

Is there something I am missing?

If I run the -h <HOST.FQDN> will it shut down all of the VM's?

What I am looking to do and instal the Tools on the whole HOST without a reboot, and let the SA's of the VM's reboot them when it is best for them.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
acr
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hi

Just to confirm VMwarue Tools can only be installed/Upgraded when the VM is switched on right-click the VM Install/Upgrade Vmtools

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
juchestyle
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I am not certain on this, but I would like to take an educated, trying to remember try at it. I believe the ability to upgrade tools might have been hinted at for a later version, ie, not available in 3.5. So I believe the answer for now is that the vm must be powered on. But that would be cool, if we could inject vmware tools, or heck for that matter windows updates on vms that were powered down. I will keep dreaming.

Respectfully,

Matthew

Kaizen!

Kaizen!
0 Kudos
acr
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hi

Just to confirm VMwarue Tools can only be installed/Upgraded when the VM is switched on right-click the VM Install/Upgrade Vmtools

Regards

0 Kudos
Pennguino
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thats one of the questions. According to the Admin guide it states to power off the VM and then install the tools. The problem is you can't install the tools in that state. Is this just a misprint in the manual or am I missing something that allows me to install when the VM is powered off?

0 Kudos
Pennguino
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Duplicate Post--Ignore

0 Kudos
juchestyle
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hey man,

Can you provide a link the guide you are looking at, and what page number?

Respectfully,

Matthew

Kaizen!

Kaizen!
0 Kudos
Pennguino
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

According to the vi3_35_25_admin_guide.pdf page 163

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35/vi3_35_25_admin_guide.pdf

Page 163

Step 5 and Step 6

0 Kudos
acr
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

It seems a misprint, tried it with esx3.5 and vc 2.5 the option is always greyed out if the VM is off...? But ok if the VM is on..?

java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I'm gonna give VMWare a call and see what they have to say. Keep ya posted.

0 Kudos
mattinator
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is from the admin guide:

1 Open a console to the virtual machine.

2 Power on the virtual machine.

3 After the guest operating system starts, right‐click the virtual machine and choose

Install VMware Tools.

Were you thinking of an upgrade where you don't have to login to the guest console and it will do an automatic upgrade?

0 Kudos
Pennguino
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am going to go with a misprint for the doc as listed in the link above. thanks for your help

0 Kudos