VMware Cloud Community
tasm
Contributor
Contributor

VM Snapshots with Datastore Clusters

Hello VMware People!

I'm working with vCenter 5 (hosts are at 5.0 U1) and using Datastore Clusters.

Question: when I take a snapshot of a VM that's in a datastore cluster that is running out of space, does it have the ability to store the snapshot vmdk into another existing datastore cluster?

Thank you!!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
tasm
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the link.  I've actually read this yesterday and I'm still not clear on what I'm looking for.

I don't decide where the snapshot will reside when I take it, it's done automatically.  But during this automation, does it look outside it's datastore cluster for any LUN with enough room?

0 Kudos
Sawkat
Contributor
Contributor

technically it should do an SDRS and move the vm's files on another datastore, which means if you configured your snapshots to stay on the same folder as the vm, all of them will move together... if you want to try then force the SDRS or else do an SVmotion...

0 Kudos
tasm
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry if I'm not being clear enough, and thank you for your help so far.

I'm not refering to any kind of vMotion.  I'm more concerned with snapshots being stuck within a datastore cluster of LUNS and running out of space.

For example:

VM-1 is on Datastore cluster 1.

Datastore cluster 1:

LUN1 : no space left

LUN2: no space left

LUN3: 100gb free space

Datastore cluster 2:

LUN4: 600gb of space

LUN5: 500gb of space

Take a snapshot of VM-1, can these snapshot VMDKs reside in Datastore cluster 2 or will it force it to stay within Datastore cluster 1?

0 Kudos