VMware Cloud Community
AnthonyM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM Setting for a vCenter VM

What settings do people generally use for the VM they put vCenter in?

Looking at the Documentation, the reccomended spec is 2CPUs and 3GB RAM (4.5 if you have the Web manageent server running!) That's the same settings as our Exchange 2007 server has...

I will be looking at a 3 node ~25VM (probably not growing past 40VMs in the near future) Essentials+ setup...Do I really need a vCenter server this heavily specced?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

It depends on what services that you've run with vCenter? with vCenter 4.0 server it requires more memory since the Tomcat services used for WebAccess has more, you can stop that services if you do not grant any web access thats saves a lot of RAM. I wouldn't use 2 vCPU for this purpose, it would be fine with 1 vCPU & 2GB of RAM if just for virtual center/license roles. If you have SQL Express installed than that would add more memory. You can always add more if requires but do not over allocate resources when you don't need them. Support 3 (hosts) + 25VMs is not a big environment so your 1vCPU/2GB ram VM for vCenter server would be fine.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA