VMware Cloud Community
tjcarst
Contributor
Contributor

VM Power Down each day at same time - unwanted

I have a VM that does a power down at approx 8:20 am every morning. It is being initiated by my Virtual Center administrator (domain) account. It is not a scheduled task in Virtual Center. The guest vm OS, Windows Server 3003, sees the shutdown as unexpected, Windows asks for the reason of the previous shutdown when you login after the power down.

I have an open case with vmware support, but haven't been able to figure out what is causing the power down.

The vm was recently migrated to a new LUN vmfs volume.

The host is a single ESX 3.5 update 5, not in a cluster.

Any ideas on where to look for the source of a power down that happens daily within a minute or so?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Maybe a script running off a VIMA system, or some vi-perl-toolkit installation somewhere, triggering the restart? Probably something someone setup a long time ago as a test and forgot about it...

0 Kudos
tjcarst
Contributor
Contributor

I recently removed the HP SIM agents. The only other perl script that I have messed with lately is the snaphunter program.

Edit: snaphunter is set to run with cron daily at 8:00 am. You may be onto the root of the problem. I'll disable it and monitor.

I have no idea why one VM would have issues with snap_hunter, but the other VMs on the host do not.

Message was edited by: tjcarst

0 Kudos
jer0nim0
Contributor
Contributor

I once had a similar thing happening regularly at 3:00 AM when it turned out the NAI virus scanner update produced a bluescreen and the machine rebooted automatically.

0 Kudos