VMware Cloud Community
Dthompson04
Contributor
Contributor

VM Migration Path over HA Connection

Hello vCenter Group, hope all are remaining well.

I'm migrating all VMs to one host in preparation to do some password recovery and I'm not seeing the transfer rate that I thought I should.  I'm running two VCSA 6.7 clusters with one VCSA and two hosts each.  Below is the network information for both clusters.  My main concern is the HA link where I thought my VM migration would take.

It's running very slow so I'm guessing it's taking the 1G connection out one of the other two interfaces.

NIC       vSWITCH#   

NIC0     SWITCH0     Management     Copper 1Gig

NIC1     SWITCH1     PORT-CHANNEL Multiple VLANs     Fiber 1Gig

NIC2     SWITCH2     HA Link     Copper 10Gig

The migration of VMs from one host to the other takes about an hour for one VM.  I would think if the path was using the HA 10Gig connection it would be faster.

QUESTIONS:

1.  How to determine which path traffic is taking?

2.  Can Migration traffic cross over the HA connection?

3.  How should the HA connection be set up to allow Migration traffic to pass between hosts?  (I thought I already had this set up).  Or is one hour for one VM average?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread locked. I already moved your previous instance to the vSphere area. Please do not post duplicates.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos