VMware Cloud Community
Nautilus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM Console with Virtual Center restrict for only 1 Connection

Hi All,

normally, everyone who can start the Virtual Center Management Server and have enough permissions to get a connect to a VM cann see the Console of the VM.

My Problem ist to restrict the current connecion only for one. The other Users should have see nothing when theay try to start console session or a better way to see a message "User xxxxx is using this VM"

Is this Prossible.

And a second quesation is

The Console Performance for the VM with the Virtual Center Management Serve very bad (Windows XP or W2003 or W2K). VM Tools are installed and hardware accelerator is activated. Is a differen t way (another tool) to make a connection to the VMConsole (NO RDP Session is not possible).

Thanks for any Help

Kind regards

Nautilus

Kind regards Nautilus ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Answer to you first question no that is not possible - the best you have is the warning showing that there is another connection -

Answer to your second questoin - First off the thing to keep in mind the VM Console should only be used for maintenance and not day to day access ot the VM - the service console is what provides the resource for the VM console and since RDP is not possible you will need to make sure the Service Console has the maximum amount of memory set (800 MB) which also means you will have to increate SC swap file -

Why is RDP not possible?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Jeff11173
Contributor
Contributor

Nautilus,

I just found the option you were looking for! I have attached some screen shots

you can limit the console connections to whatever you want under "edit">then "client settings" 25 is the default but you can change it to 1.

Nautilus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Jeff,

i think thats it. But i'am using VCenter 2.5/update 1 and when i change this parameter nothing changes. I will check this again.

Thanks a lot

Kind regards Nautilus ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I believe that is number of concurrent VM Consoles by that client - so if you only want each user to open one console at time this will do it - it will not limit the number of concurrent console open to a vm so if you have ten users all can open tot he same vm at the same time -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Nautilus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Jeff,

can you tell how you test this?

1. start VCenter

2. modify the parameter

3. make a Console Connect

4. make the second RDP Session to the virtual Center and try to make a second Console Connection ?

Kind regards

Nautilus

0 Kudos