VMware Cloud Community
crmartinez
Contributor
Contributor

VM Clone Operation Fails

When i try to clone a virtual machine the operation fails with the follwoing error message: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

4777_4777.png

However, all other options work correctly (including Clone to Template and Convert to Template).

I am using VIC version 2.5.0 Build 119598 and it is installed on a Windows Vista Professional with SP1.

The VIC was working but I had to uninstall it due to some unrelated issue; however, when I install it again, the clonning function is not working anymore.

After uninstalling the VIC I cleaned the files and folders left behind as well as the registry.

Does anyone has an idea on how to fix this issue? Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Can you do the clone operation directly on the VirtualCenter server (if you have access)? Like RDP into the VirtualCenter server, launch the VIC and run the command there?

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
crmartinez
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I can do the cloning from the VC server itself.

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The VIC installed on Vista is a little quarky. There are some things I can't do on Vista that I can do on a different OS like Xp and 2003, such as the customization. I'm not quite sure if there is anything you can do to make it so you can clone from your Vista box, the work-around that I use when I can't do an operation from the Vista box is to just remote into the VirtualCenter server and run that one command there.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos