VMware Cloud Community
DavePreston
Contributor
Contributor

VI client problem

Howdy all,

I'm running VI client 2.0.1 build 40644 under XP pro in a Workstation 6 VM with Linux as the host OS and have been having odd problems for some weeks now. The client is not rendering correctly. None of the names are showing up in the left sidebar, no cluster name, no hostnames, no resource group names. The icons are showing up fine but that's about it.

In the main window, I can see the machine names but again I am seeing rendering issues with the data in all tabs.

Thusfar I have updated VI client from the previous version to the latest, uninstalled and reinstalled the client a second time for good measure, reinstalled the VMTools, even updated .NET to 3.0 out of desperation.

Anybody had any similar experience or even a solution?

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
4 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

I've some some strange display problems on mine when I run certain video resolutions. Have you tried changing the resolution/color settings to see if that makes a difference. You might also try changing your host OS video resolution/colors.

DavePreston
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that. I mucked around with the res and color depth to no avail. I have found that if I turn down the hardware acceleration 3 notches to disable directdraw and direct3d it works.

Looks like there may be an issue with the svga driver in vmtools. I'll keep poking.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

I would check out the video driver on your host system, make sure it is the latest version. The vga driver that is part of Vmware tools is pretty standard and works OK on other host systems where the VIC is run on a guest.

0 Kudos
DavePreston
Contributor
Contributor

Well I've found a more efficient work around. Enabling direct3d support in the vmx "fixes" the problem. Let's hear it for .net! Whoo whoo?

Presumably this is still an experimental feature in WS 6.0 so you've got to edit your .vmx file and add

mks.enable3d = TRUE

Thanks again for reorienting my brain to chase down a solution.

0 Kudos