VMware Cloud Community
aardvark
Contributor
Contributor

VI Client timeout on Performance graphs

I'm running VI client 2.0.1 B32042 and am having trouble getting the performance graphs to come up. When I select a VM and click on the performance tab, more times than not the VI client will generate a "Timed out waiting for the server response." error and the graphs will not display. This also happens when attempting to look at the performance tab on a host server. The performance tab always works on resource groups.

The logging options are set to Info (Normal logging), and the statistics are set to 4 threads at Level 2.

The host servers are ESX 3.0.1 with all of the 'critical' patches applied.

Anybody got any ideas on what the problem may be?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
GBromage
Expert
Expert

Hi Aardvark!

Have you tried increasing the Remote Command Timeout (Edit -> Client Settings)?

It could just be that there's a lot of data and the VC Server, or network is busy.

HTH,

Greg

I hope this information helps you. If it does, please consider awarding points with the 'Helpful' or 'Correct' buttons. If it doesn't help you, please ask for clarification!
0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You should check your network speed and configuration.

Too many hops from HOSTs to VC?

check with:

tracert HOST IP

too slow?

ping HOST IP

which bandwidth between HOST and VC?

0 Kudos
aardvark
Contributor
Contributor

I have increased the timeout to 60 seconds. Still get the failure. If I have to wait more than 60 seconds for a chart to come up it's really not useful fo rme.

No network issues. My workstation and server are on the same physical network and switch. All gigabit. Physical and logical networks are not the issue.

The problem lies somewhere within VC, not in my physical environment.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

You might check out this thread...

VC hangs at Retrieving Chart Data when viewing past performance data - http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=87229

0 Kudos