VMware Cloud Community
JoshuaP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VI Client 2.5 doesn't work after installing Symantec Endpoint Protection 11

Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 is being pushed out on our network. With the SEP client installed on my notebook I can no longer get the VI client to load. It does not even get to the login window. All I get is the following message:

VpxClient has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.

Uninstalling the SEP client fixes the issue with the VI client, but of course that's not the answer I'm looking for. I believe the SEP client is the latest curently available, version 11.0.1000.1375.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
doubleH
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

what versin of the client are you running?

MR2 was just released so you can try that and see if it resolved your issue.

are you using the firewall or any other new features other than AV?

PS - I'm running the same version of SEP as you (MR1) and VI Client 2.5.0 Build 84767 with no issues.I am only using AV/Anit-spyware and none of the other junk.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
doubleH
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

what versin of the client are you running?

MR2 was just released so you can try that and see if it resolved your issue.

are you using the firewall or any other new features other than AV?

PS - I'm running the same version of SEP as you (MR1) and VI Client 2.5.0 Build 84767 with no issues.I am only using AV/Anit-spyware and none of the other junk.

0 Kudos
v01d
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Your issues are probably related to the software firewall in SEP 11 (why are client fw's allways 1000x more trouble than they are worth). The previous versions of symantec AV did not include a client firewall. We have SEP 11 deployed without the firewall and their are no issues with SEP 11.0.1000.1375 and VI Client. Also, they latest version of SEP is 11.0.2000.1253 released yesterday.

JoshuaP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The firewall is installed. Thanks for mentioning the new version of SEP available. I'll try that first, if that doesn't work I'll try going AV only.

Josh

0 Kudos
JoshuaP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The problem is definitely caused by the SEP firewall component. The VI client works fine once that is removed.

Thanks guys.

Josh

0 Kudos
vvghost
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This problem is caused my the Application and Device Control feature of SEP. It's supposedly fixed in MR2. Since you're on MR1 you can either upgrade or just disable that feature in the install settings.

Joe

0 Kudos
JoshuaP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I updated to MR2, but it didn't fix the problem. Installing SEP without the firewall let it work.

Josh

0 Kudos