VMware Cloud Community
ber001
Contributor
Contributor

VI CLient 2.5 Very slow on Vista 32b Enterprise

Hello,

The VI client 2.5 (build 64192) works good on XP workstations but is very very slow on vista...

Has somebody the same problem ? Is there a path to apply ?

Thank you in advance

BeR

BeR
0 Kudos
17 Replies
ber001
Contributor
Contributor

Nobody encounter this problem ?

BeR

BeR
0 Kudos
tomcat318
Contributor
Contributor

I believe I see the same thing on VI Client 2.5.0 Build 64192. i.e. screen refresh takes 10-15 seconds when changing from one host to the other in the client. seems like the redraw of the LUN listing is being created. Not sure what the issue is yet.

0 Kudos
SandyB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have exactly the same probelm here, client new VC 2.5 VIC is noticably slower than the previous one, we are also running Vista Enterprise 32bit.

does anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
Brianck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same issues here, it's like the client refreshes the lun's every single click...very painful to use.

0 Kudos
Brianck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Okay it's fixed...goto your Control Panel / Windows Color and Appearance and change your color scheme from "Windows Aero" to "Windows Vista Basic", you lose the Aero features but the repaint in Virtual Center is 300% better!!! :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
ber001
Contributor
Contributor

My color scheme is already the "Windows Vista Basic" Smiley Sad

BeR

BeR
0 Kudos
bmeyer99
Contributor
Contributor

I am using VI Client 2.5 build 84767 running on Vista Enterprise SP1. This is ridiculously slow. I have about 20 datastores that I have to wait to load every time I pull up a host. I turn off Aero and it is a lot better, but not as good as on an XP machine.

What is happening with VMware, they have been lacking really bad on their QA for updates. They put out ESX 3.5 and had a HUGE problem with ESX servers not booting. Then they put out updates to ESX 3.5 and they can't install on hosts that were upgraded from 3.0.2. Come on VMware are you getting too comfortable at the top? I wouldn't, Citrix and MS are not too far behind. Now the VI Client is not usable on Vista, i understand not everybody has it yet, but admins are the ones that are going to have it because they are the ones that need to know it to help out the end-users.

Come on VMware get with the game.

0 Kudos
Patrick_Miller
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same issue on Windows Server 2008...very very annoying.

0 Kudos
markus_herbert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try this on Vista:

Enter the following into an Administrative cmd window:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

0 Kudos
Brianck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That had no effect on mine, turning off Aero or running the application with the compatibilty mode checkbox "disable desktop composition" checked did it for me.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

> That had no effect on mine, turning off Aero or running the application with the compatibilty mode checkbox "disable desktop composition" checked did it for me.

Agreed. It works better for me also, Aero no affect.

0 Kudos
Brianck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do find it strange how VMware can do something as amazing as transferring active memory of a running VM using VMotion but they can't get the user interface on the main management tool to work properly...

0 Kudos
SandyB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

has anyone upgraded to update 1? does the VIC from update 1 have the same problem.?

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

First of all let's clear something up right now.

VM Ware makes software, they can't control the OS. Aero is a VISUAL element of .NET. VI isn't a graphics program, and it was designed before AERO has matured. Vista instroduced an ENTIRELY new visual element that hasn't been seen before.

So before you go blaming VM Ware for VI performance issues, look deeper. For one thing, your VIDEO card is to blame NOT VM ware. That's the issue. If you want better performance buy a new computer with a better graphics engine. If you are using a Laptop, switch to a desktop or quit complaing about graphic performance in Vista, or here is a thought, go back to XP. Those are your options.

Here is the information from wikipedia. )

Until the release of Windows Vista Beta 1 in July 2005, little or nothing had been shown of Aero in public/leaked builds. Previous user interfaces were Plex, which was featured in Longhorn builds 3683-4029; Slate, which was featured in build 4051 and was available until build 4093; and Jade (build 4074, 4083 and 4093, actually an early preview of Aero). Microsoft started using Aero in public builds in build 5048. The first build with full-featured Aero was build 5219. Build 5270 (released in December 2005) contained an implementation of Aero which was virtually complete, according to sources at Microsoft, though a number of stylistic changes were introduced between then and the operating system's release.

Originally, Aero was to have three levels available, one code-named "To Go", which had the Desktop Window Manager (DWM) composition engine (previously known as DCE) disabled. The next was to be AeroExpress, lacking many features of the highest level code-named Aero Glass. However, in December 2005, Microsoft announced that there would only be two levels available, "Windows Vista Aero" and "Windows Vista Basic", with the previous "Express" level integrated into the new "Windows Vista Aero" level. A control panel was added to enable the user to fine tune this functionality, such as being able to turn off the "glass" translucency effect. These levels are provided so that the Aero interface (to some extent) can be used with a relatively low-end graphics card.

Initially, a variation of Aero, codenamed "Aero Diamond", was slated to be the user interface for the Windows Vista Media Center experience. Although there has been no official mention of Diamond for a number of years, it may refer to the expectation that the interface will be written in pure XAML (as was Aero initially) but this has not been confirmed.

If you scroll to the bottom of that page, you can see that Graphics Card Capabilities is TOTALLY dependent on AERO working properly, so let's stop roasting VM Ware over the client. You found a work around, nice job. But the VI client refreshes fine, the graphics capabilities of your machine are at fault, not VI client or VM ware for .NET programming.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Same problem, it's graphics for your machine, not VI client, and there is a work around.

This is the fix:

That had no effect on mine, turning off Aero or running the application with the compatibilty mode checkbox "disable desktop composition" checked did it for me.has anyone upgraded to update 1? does the VIC from update 1 have the same problem.?

0 Kudos
Brianck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am not saying that MS is not too blame on this as well but lets be honest there are a lot of application that work just fine with Aero and the VI client is one that does not work the greatest. Also remember if it was a video card issue ALL apps would have issues not just one (and yes I have a newer PC with a fully Vista supported vid card)... Don't get me wrong I am a huge VMware fan but they do make mistakes and have issues like all vendors and as IT people we have to understand that all vendors have to inter-work with each other and in this case I believe the issue falls with VMware and not MS. Going back to XP is not a option, we look forward and not backwards...that is one of the reasons we use VMware, forward thinking...

0 Kudos
stuten
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well in reponse to your rather flamey respone to people having a valid gripe to an annoying issue, it has been 17 months since your post and now even a new OS and the problem still exists. As others pointed out in this thread it isn't the hardware. I have a machine that is a week old with a 512 MB video card that has the issue. The same machine that runs all of my other apps, with Aero on, with no issue and can even play 3D games just fine. My rating for graphics and gaming graphics is 5.9 (pretty strong, especially for a laptop and plenty to run a simple application like the VI client).

The main issue is that VMWare seems to put all their talent in the ESX code, which we can all agree is very important. The vCenter code doesn't seem to get much love on performance and stability.

0 Kudos