VMware Cloud Community
DiSpinoza
Contributor
Contributor

VI 3 Standard High Availability Acceleration Kit and upgrade vCenter Server Foundation to vCenter Server

My question is:

Can we buy VI 3 Standard High Availability Acceleration Kit wich include vCenter Server Foundation and after that just upgrade vCenter Server Foundation to vCenter Server.

Only one reasen to do is that we want to use vmWare lab Manager in our not very big infrastructure(for now 2 ESX servers). And as I understand Lab Manager need vCenter Server Full.

I've already installed all structure with evaluation versions and now decide what type of licenses to chose.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
6 Replies
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The only difference between VC Foundation and normal VC is that VC Foundation only allows you to manage upto 3 hosts, there is no difference in the functionality.

If Lab Manager is 1 of those 3, then it should function correctly

----- Mark Atherton
0 Kudos
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can upgrade VC Foundation to normal VC, there is nothing stopping you doing that.

----- Mark Atherton
0 Kudos
DiSpinoza
Contributor
Contributor

Lab Manager i've installed on VM that is running on VMWare Serever 2.0.

And my plan is to use vCenter Server to manage just 2 ESX hosts and maybe one ESXi or host with VMWare Server 2.0.

I am liitle bit confused what license to use. Here is my other post about using of Lab Manager with VirtualCenter Server Foundation http://communities.vmware.com/thread/183859?tstart=0

0 Kudos
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I don't have a massive amount of experience with Lab Manager, but I am pretty sure that Lab Manager won't work in VMware Server as it requires VC and VC only manages ESX or ESXi hosts.

As I said in my previous post the only difference between VC Foundation and VC is the limitation of only being able to manage 3 hosts.

----- Mark Atherton
0 Kudos
DiSpinoza
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for reply.

I 've already tried evaluated editions both and Lab Manager and Virtual Center

VMware ESX provides resources to run the virtual machines. Lab Manager manages the ESX hosts through the VirtualCenter Server and the Lab Manager agent installed on those hosts.

So Lab Manager manages hosts through VirtualCenter.

And the full idea of my post is: I want to use Lab Manager into not very big environment. So question to VMWare: can I connect from Lab Manager to vCenter Foundation and use resources of ESX's that I will installed with VI 3 Standard High Availability Acceleration Kit license.

0 Kudos
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes you can

----- Mark Atherton
0 Kudos