VMware Cloud Community
NikunjB
Contributor
Contributor

VCenter service not getting started

Hi,

I am unable to start vcenter server service. Its getting stopped automatically after 1-2 mins of manual start.

VCenter 5.0

SQL server 2008

C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\Logs\vpxd-800.logs:

Error Message:

{{{

An unrecoverable problem has occurred, stopping the VMware VirtualCenter service. Error: Error[VdbODBCError] (-1) "ODBC error: (42000) - [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]Could not allocate space for object 'dbo.VPX_HOST_VM_CONFIG_OPTION'.'PK_VPX_HOST_VM_CONFIG_OPTION' in database 'VIM_VCDB' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full. Create disk space by deleting unneeded files, dropping objects in the filegroup, adding additional files to the filegroup, or setting autogrowth on for existing files in the filegroup." is returned when executing SQL statement "INSERT INTO VPX_HOST_VM_CONFIG_OPTION WITH (ROWLOCK) (HOST_ID, CONFIG_OPTION_VER, DATA, ARRAY_INDEX, CONFIG_OPTION_DESC, CREATE_SUPPORTED_FLG, DEFAULT_CONFIG_OPTION_FLG) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)"

}}}

Any ideas.?

Thanks

Nikunj

0 Kudos
4 Replies
nathanw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Looks like your DB is unable to grow.

CHesk the SQL server, I am guessing it is remote, check you have free dsk space for the DB and log drives.

Check your backup mode, is it FULL or SIMPLE, change to Simple to keep logs smaller.

One more thing is the vCenter DB set to a maximum size? perhaps SQL is limiting the size it can grow to.

Nathan VCP
0 Kudos
NikunjB
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for the reply.

How to check all these.?

Sorry I am new to VCenter.!

Thanks

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

NikunjB wrote:

How to check all these.?

Sorry I am new to VCenter.!

Doen't matter since this needs SQL-knowledge and not vCenter-knowledge Smiley Wink

The MS SQL Express that comes free with vCenter installer is limited in the maximum database size.

Take a look at the following kb on how to shrink the vCenter DB:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=103673...

Regards

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If this is SQL Express, upgrade to either R2 or 2012. That will expand the DB size limit.

SQL Express 2005/2008 - 4GB

SQL Express 2008 R2 - 10GB

SQL Express 2012 - 10GB

0 Kudos