VMware Cloud Community
TheJoshua
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCenter datastore template map question

This is perhaps more a feature question than function. I deployed a vCenter appliance and have 3 physical hosts attached. vMotion hasn't been enabled yet so the servers are standalone.

I created a template on server 2 to deploy vm's. There was an boot/iso file and network name associated with the template. The template was used to deploy the vm's to server 3. There were a couple complaints from the wizard regarding the iso and network not available due to the different physical host. The template deploys fine and the vm's are then updated with the correct DVD and network info. The datastores on both servers are local at this time.

My question is, although there seem to be absolutely no ties to the datastore, the map insists on a relationship between the datastore on server 2 with the vm's on server 3. Is it correct to say that this is due to the original template still on server 2? All disks, DVD, network, etc on the deployed vm are local to server 3.

Putting server 2 in maintenance mode has zero impact on either vm running on server 3. Maybe OCD of me, but I'm curious and can't seem to find the answer.

See attachment for details.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheJoshua
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The issue was caused by snapshots that contained references to the old host. Once those were deleted, the map displayed correctly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TheJoshua
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The issue was caused by snapshots that contained references to the old host. Once those were deleted, the map displayed correctly.

0 Kudos