VMware Cloud Community
aa2k
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCenter cant connect to datastores/clusters when server is added to the domain!!

Hi,

I have a standalone windows 2008 server running VSphere console client, I can see/manage my

Datastores, clusters, vm machines, etc. just fine and I can connect from

another pc using the client console just fine..

I need to join the server to a active directory domain, as soon as I join it

and run the vConsole I can get in but everything in there is shows as

'disconnected' and have a red mark on it so I can manage anything.. at this

point my other pc's running the client cant connect to this server anymore

either...

if I disjoin the server from the domain everything goes back to normal and

can access everything again... why is this happening?

There are no special rules/ permissions /policies on the active directory

that will make any changes to this server.. it just joins to it... I just can’t figure out why.. any

suggestions/ideas?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bretti
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Check your windows firewall settings for the domain profile. There are firewall profiles for public, domain, and stand alone in Windows server 2008.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bretti
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Check your windows firewall settings for the domain profile. There are firewall profiles for public, domain, and stand alone in Windows server 2008.

0 Kudos
aa2k
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, I will check on that tomorrow morning... this is killing me.. Thanks!

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If you've connected everything to the VC before joining to the domain, then join the VC to the Domain . . then you have modified the fqdn of the Server.

Make sure that the DNS asetting on your esx hosts allow them to resolve the VC's full DNS name.

If you are unable to resolve this easily, disconnect/remove your hosts fronm the VC, add it to the domain and then add them to the DC again

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
aa2k
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

It is solved!!!! thanks for the heads up on the firewall.. that was the problem...

When the server is a "standalone" server only the VMWare Inbound rules (under Windows firewall with advanced settings) appoint to "public" only, I changed them to "Domain" and It works now... (see attached picture).. now I can get to the vCenter locally and from the romete pc's too...

Thanks again for your suggestions..

0 Kudos