VMware Cloud Community
Smitty23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VCenter Service Wont Start

Hi All,

I'm running Virtual Center 2.5.0 Update 2, and I'm in the process of upgrading to Update 5. Well when I began the install, I needed the login to SQL, which of course, I no longer have. So I changed the pw in SQL, and in the ODBC connection, but it still seems as though VMWare is trying to use the old password. In the logs, I find the error "ODBC error: (28000) - [SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Login failed for user"

So right now, I can't login to VC because the service isnt running, and can't find where I need to change the password to ensure it connects using the proper creds. Oh, and the ODBC test comples successfully.

Where do I need to change this password so the service knows the SQL account to use?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

See if this kb article helps:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1006482

Good Luck!

Message was edited by: vmroyale

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What account do you use for the vCenter installation? If you have succeeded OBDC connection then you can fix it by using repair installation of VC and point it to correct OBDC credentials and make sure using Administrator account privelege. When you open "Services" console and click Properties->VMware Virtual Center Server service what do you have as "Logon" as System account or AD account. You may specify AD account that used during vCenter installation. I would backup the database first before I do anything else, but try to use repair option and point to the correct OBDC connection see how it works.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
Smitty23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The account used is SQL account, so the Services in CompMgmt just use the default local system account. Is there a way to run this portion of the wizard from any files in the Program Files directory? Or can I just delete a certain file that contains this info?

0 Kudos
ikroumov
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello

I had very similarproblem, or lets say two problems and both of them were related to SQL database and issues with the connection.

1. The first one which was slightly easier was related to the account I was using to connect to the DB. Lets say my DB account was named DBUSER which was SQL account. I had to change the password and I did it following the wrong order. I reset the password on the SQL server first, before I set the new password on the VI client. The VI client keeps the password encrypted into the registryand there was no way to reset it. The solution was this:

1.1 Give any other account (SQL or AD) access to the database. Go to the host where the VIclient is installed. Open a connection to the virtual center and specify the new account which you just granted access to the DB use the new password. Establish a connection and make sure everything is OK. Then , go back on your SQL server grant the previous account access to the database and set the new password. Go back to your machine where the VI client is andinitiate a connection to the virtual center server, but at this time speciy the other account and the password.

This is what was helpfule for me

2. The seconproblem happened on Monday this week. This is much more complicated problem. The VM Ware Server service stopped working and the error message into the event logwas "dbSQL connection failed, nocorrect data, corupted data was savad into aone of the database tables" The ticket i have opened with VMWare is still opened and they are analysing what has happened causing the database to become corrupted. The sollution was: Restore the database from the last night backup.

I hope this could help you

Sincerely

Ivaylo

vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

See if this kb article helps:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1006482

Good Luck!

Message was edited by: vmroyale

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
Smitty23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The vpxd -p <new_Password> command worked, thank you very much

0 Kudos