VMware Cloud Community
CPSWernerSt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCenter Server 5.1 show migrated VM on old and new Storage

Hello,

we update 2 vsphere 5.0 Hosts to 5.1 and the vcenter too. Now we connect new Storage to the vsphere Hosts and migrate some of the VMs on the new Store.

(all of them have latest VMtools installed, are the latest VM HW-Version, they have no ISO, Floppy-Images or something else attached) Cause of Vsphere Essential we made the Storage Migration when then VMs were offline.

After the successfull storage-migration of all VMs, we saw that 3 VMs show us under Resources of the VM the old and the new datastore, also on the inventory of the datastore we saw on both datastore the vm, but when we browse the datastore the VMS are only (correct) on the new datastore.

I know that happens if some iso, images etc. are connected when the VM ist migrated, but we checked that double an there is no reference to the old datastore at the settings of the VM. When we connect direct to the host the VM datastore is show us correct only the new datastore.

How can we fix this????

Best regards

Werner St.

31 Replies
velocity08
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Picturesplanes

Im experiencing the exact same issue and have even gone so far as to remove the CD/DVD from each VM and was only successful in releasing 1/10 of the locked VM's.

Would you mind pleas elaborating on how you managed to unlock these VM's from the secondary DataStore as we cant use our Dell ASM software to take VM snaps while VM;s are showing as running on multiple DataStores even when they are not.

any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

""Cheers

0 Kudos
velocity08
Contributor
Contributor

bump

0 Kudos
Paul_W2
Contributor
Contributor

I was running into the same issue after migrating to a new storage system the vm had still listed both storage systems in use. I thought maybe it was still connected to an ISO image on the old storage but that was not the case either.

I then tried to mount an ISO image to the VM and the dialog box first pointed at the old storage system. I switched it to an ISO on the new storage system which seems to have severed the connection to the old storage system. Now the old storage system is no longer listed for the VM.

0 Kudos
CPSWernerSt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

-

Message was edited by: a.p. - removed out-of-office message

0 Kudos
velocity08
Contributor
Contributor

HI We have had a solution to this issue for anyone who is still experiencing this same problem.

In our case even tho there where no ISO's showing as connected to the VM's the issue was due to SnapShots that still existed for those VM's showing as mounted on 2 different DataStores those snaps where at some stage connected to ISO's mounted on different DataStoes.

The solution was to remove all the old snapshots for those VM's, once they where removed the VM no longed showed on both data stores only on its current location.

hope this helps any one who is still experiencing this same issue.

""Cheers

Gerardo.

0 Kudos
KenMullins
Contributor
Contributor

I too had the same issue with ESXi 5.1, After trying all the steps/advise on this post, I found that by adding a snapshot then deleting it, the old storage device no longer showed.  On the second VM with this issues, the adding and deleting a snapshot did NOT resolve the issue, but I after deleting the snapshot, I removed it from inventory and added it back.  Now both VMs show only the new storage device.  Note the old storage device while showing, said it was using 0 bytes disk space.

0 Kudos
pizzoja
Contributor
Contributor

Ching,   CD\ISO mounted from the old datastore,  this resolved my issue,   Thanks for the post.

Joel

0 Kudos
IVX
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. This fixed my problem. It was driving me crazy after I unmounted the attached ISOs and the VMs were still showing up.

0 Kudos
dradunsky
Contributor
Contributor

Per 19 from Ching

Yes, siree, Bob.  That fixes it right quick!

It appears that my Gold was still holding the original connection to install image.  All machines made from gold, now point back.  Tedious, but easy to fix.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Lamar123
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

In case you can't get any information then verify if the file is locked. In some cases if you see file listed but file is not locked which means its not being used by any host then either you can delete or move it.

use

VMKFSTOOLS -D FILE NAME i.e *.vmdk or file-ctk.vmdk.

output will return MAC address of the host where file is tied up if any.

Good luck.

Lamar

!

0 Kudos
akreddy506
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If it's not ISO or snapshot it might be vmx.log.filename parameter in vmx file. Well power off the vm and download vmx file. See if vmx.log.filename parameter has reference to old datastore. If so  replace it with "./vmware.log". Save it and upload it back to vm. You can delete existing vmx file. Power on vm and it should work. If it still shows two datastores, perform storage vmotion.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Lindahl2
Contributor
Contributor

Had the same error when migrating storage on 6.5. When i opened the vmx file i saw referals to iso images despite no iso beeing mounted. Powered off machine removed floppy and cd from virtual hardware. Powered on and added virtual hardware, and the connection to the old storage was gone.

0 Kudos