VMware Cloud Community
RTCampbell
Contributor
Contributor

VCenter Appliance and AD groups issue

Hi, and sorry if this has already been asked, but I cant seem to find an answer.

My issue is I installed the VCenter Appliance (5.5) in my environment and am in the process of migrating some host over to it. Recently we had to rename some Groups in AD to better explaingling their use (ex; ESXi Vcenter Admins vice ESXI Admins).  My problem is when I try to add permissions to VCenter I am only seeing the old AD name and not the new one. I have the applicance configured to query AD via SPN and not LDAP. Can anyone shed some light on my issue of what I may be missing?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
RTCampbell
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone?

0 Kudos
nzorn
Expert
Expert

Have you tried restarting the appliance or removing and re-adding the AD source?

0 Kudos
RTCampbell
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Yes, rebooted and re-added the source a couple of times. The wierd part is that it sees any new groups I create in AD, just not the ones I renamed.

0 Kudos
nzorn
Expert
Expert

Interesting, what happens if you rename a user? Does it show the old name or the new name?

0 Kudos
nzorn
Expert
Expert

Are you on 5.5a?  I just created a group named "Testing - Test" and verified it showed up in vCSA, then renamed it in AD to "Testing" and then it showed up with the new name in vCSA.  I am running VMware vCenter Server Appliance 5.5.0.5101 Build 1398493.

0 Kudos
RTCampbell
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't tried renameing a user. We are currently running 5.1 and 5.5(appliance) side by side (middle of a migration). The 5.1 VCenter see's all new and renamed groups. 5.5 only sees the new groups. I'm to the point were I'm just gonna build new groups and add them to 5.5......it will make life a lot easier and less aggravating. 🙂

0 Kudos
RTCampbell
Contributor
Contributor

5.5.0, 1398495

0 Kudos
nzorn
Expert
Expert

Looks like your's is a newer version....my system shows: No update is available

Interesting

0 Kudos
RTCampbell
Contributor
Contributor

I just installed it about a week to week and a half ago. I'm just gonna drop it and create new groups.......it's only three or four groups needing to be created. It's just the fact of "why" doesnt it work that is irking me. Anyway, thanks for your time and suggestions, at least I dont feel like I crazy now.

0 Kudos
nzorn
Expert
Expert

I installed mine last week, I can't find anything about the version you are running.  Here is the problem I'm having: Re: vCSA 5.5.0a - Users with spaces are unable to authenticate

0 Kudos
RTCampbell
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the misinfo, i just checked my version # again and I am running the same version as you. Are you authenticating to AD via LDAP or SPN?

0 Kudos
nzorn
Expert
Expert

Active Directory Integrated Windows Authentication, and I choose Machine Account.

0 Kudos