VMware Cloud Community
xyzcloud
Contributor
Contributor

VCenter 7.0 - cannot add host

Running VCenter 7.0 and I am trying to add an ESXi-7.0.0-15843807-standard host. I enter all the correct credentials and addition process starts but then abruptly ends with:

A specified parameter was not correct: info.productVersion

Anybody seen this and know why this is occurring and a possible fix?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Just a thought:

• are both vCSA as well as ESXi running the GA build, i.e.no beta builds?
  • did you already assign licenses to either vCenter, or the host (which editions)?

André

0 Kudos
xyzcloud
Contributor
Contributor

Hi and yes both are the latest GA builds. No license assigned, brand new install and eval license

0 Kudos
APCASA
Contributor
Contributor

Bump.

I'm encountering the same error. New Install of VMware ESXi 7.0.0 build-15843807 on a Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS XTREME with an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X. vCenter Appliance is licensed and accepted other hosts to be added to the newly created datacenter (other hosts were ESXi 6.0.0 5050593 and ESXi 6.0.0 3620759). It seems like there is an issue with this newer 7.0 build.

0 Kudos
RyanBijkerk
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade vCenter to the latest version: VMware Product Interoperability Matrices

0 Kudos
iigx
Contributor
Contributor

Encounter similar issue:

Failed to add ESXi 7.0 host to VCenter

0 Kudos
kop
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issues with the following versions: 

vCenter 6.7.0 Build 17137327. Then the error happen with any of this hosts:

- VMware ESXi 7.0.1 build-17325551 

- VMware ESXi 7.0.0 build-17230755 (ESXi ARM)

Cannot add host, A specified parameter was not correct: info.productVersion

Any ideas to solve it? I'm not able to upgrade vCenter to 7.X version. 

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @kop ,

vCenter version should be equal or higher than the ESXi hosts. You cannot add ESXi 7.0 to vCenter 6.7.

0 Kudos
JA5
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

Vmware work on this Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS XTREME board?

Processor, Chipset, SATA/RAID and NICs?

0 Kudos
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert

Check here >> https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=server

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
0 Kudos
JA5
Contributor
Contributor

I had already checked the compatibility list and it's not there, as it is a board for desktop cumputer.

Only testing it is possible to know that. This is the most faster motherboard on the markette and I would like to buy one for a Vmware server.

Anyone already test it?

0 Kudos
samwozniak
Contributor
Contributor

Sad to see this is still an issue in late 2021, and worse yet with mainstream hardware - HPE DL360 G10s.  All on the compatibility list.  I'm trying vCenter 7.0U2c and installed 7.0U2a (HPE Custom Image for ESXi 7.0 U2).  Using all eval licenses so far.  Next step is VMware Support...  

0 Kudos
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert

If you got support ; please raise one. Also will appreciate if you can add details to the issue what u see . 

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
0 Kudos
samwozniak
Contributor
Contributor

Details on what I'm doing:  2 brand new hosts and a new vCenter for a new cluster.  Just initial stages of getting it built to finish configuration, attach shared storage, etc.  

I'm gathering details for VMware Support case now.  Here's from one of the host's vpxa.log.  Seems info.productVersion is unset:

2021-09-08T17:54:26.779Z info vpxa[2101418] [Originator@6876 sub=Default opID=ktb4pagx-1738-auto-1cb-h5:70001094-ff-01-02-a7] [VpxLRO] -- ERROR lro-94 -- vpxa -- vpxapi.VpxaService.setServer: vmodl.fault.InvalidArgument:
--> Result:
--> (vmodl.fault.InvalidArgument) {
--> faultCause = (vmodl.MethodFault) null,
--> faultMessage = <unset>,
--> invalidProperty = "info.productVersion"
--> msg = ""
--> }
--> Args:
-->
--> Arg info:
--> (vpxapi.VpxaService.ServerInfo) {
--> serverIp = "10.1.1.57",
--> hostIp = "10.1.1.56",
--> serverPort = 902,
--> serverId = 331817,
--> message = "",
--> hostKey = "5285314b-5f12-1c43-89f3-1537e996daad",
--> productVersion = <unset>
--> }

0 Kudos
knanda
Contributor
Contributor

Would I not be able to add the ESXi host to the vcenter if it's not on the compatibility list ?

If that's the case, How can I go about backing up the VM without vcenter and moving it onto a 7.0 compatible machine ?

0 Kudos
BGNG
Contributor
Contributor

I had similar issue. The ESXi host Summary tab displays "Cannot synchronize host IP_address.", "Disconnected from host. Reason: Agent upgrade" and host and all VM had status "(Disconnected)". Every time when we try to reconnect the host an error shows "A specific parameter was not correct: info.productVersion."

The host's vpxa.log:

info vpxa[2100646] [Originator@6876 sub=Default opID=l0nw169q-2225-auto-1pu-h5:70001294-bd-5d] [VpxLRO] -- ERROR lro-215994 -- vpxa -- vpxapi.VpxaService.setServer: vmodl.fault.InvalidArgument:
--> Result:
--> (vmodl.fault.InvalidArgument) {
--> faultCause = (vmodl.MethodFault) null,
--> faultMessage = <unset>,
--> invalidProperty = "info.productVersion"
--> msg = ""
--> }
--> Args:
-->
--> Arg info:
--> (vpxapi.VpxaService.ServerInfo) {
--> serverIp = "xx.xx.xx.xx",
--> hostIp = "xx.xx.xx.xx",
--> serverPort = 902,
--> serverId = xxxxxx
--> message = "",
--> hostKey = "xxxxxxx-e0c6-aeee-bdf7-xxxxxxxxxxxx",
--> productVersion = <unset>

Telnet between vCenter server and host was OK:
curl -v telnet://IP.address:902
Result:
Connected to IP_address (IP_address) port 902 (#0)
220 VMware Authentication Daemon Version 1.10: SSL Required, ServerDaemonProtocol:SOAP, MKSDisplayProtocol:VNC , VMXARGS supported, NFCSSL supported/t

After short investigation, we find out that an old vCenter server was running and we had duplicated IP address. The old vCenter was not removed after upgrade. After turning off the old vCenter all hosts were reconnected successfully.

0 Kudos