VMware Cloud Community
humpa
Contributor
Contributor

VCenter 5.1 - connecting from VMware Workstation snapshots do not update when saving/deleting

We're recently setup VCenter 5.1 with one cluster and host. It is setup for domain authentication and we use vm folders with permissions to keep the departments separated.

Everything seems to be working fine, but there are a few issues either with data getting updated or with the view in the different clients.

If I use VMware Workstation (either 8 or 9) and connect to the VCenter server, there is just an issue with saving or deleting snapshots (and this occurs as VCenter admin, or as a domain user power vm user, or as domain admin). I can create or delete a snapshot, but the new snapshot will not show up (or the deleted one will not disappear) unless I disconnect and reconnect (refresh does nothing).

If I create a snapshot over in the Web Client, then the snapshots get updated in the VWware Workstation session authmaticaly in real time.

The view is perfect from VMware Workstation. The clients see the vm folder view, so that is perfect. But not being able to see a snapshot after it is created is a deal breaker.

The VSphere client works fine, and shows snapshots correctly, but it does NOT show the vm folder view.

The Web Client works great, but I do not want to have to have all our employees using the Web Client to interact with their vm's - I assume this could cause an unneeded load on the VCenter server.

So my question is what is the best method for our employees to interact with their vm's? Is there something I'm missing with VMware Workstation and gettting the snapshots to get updated correctly?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

its defenitley an issue and I am not sure about the workaround.

But for this  "The VSphere client works fine, and shows snapshots correctly, but it does NOT show the vm folder view." did you try the View "VMs and Templates" in vSPhere Client. It should show the VMs listed under folders.

humpa
Contributor
Contributor

Ah, I hadn't noticed that. Though once I saw that Workstation showed the folders, I never went back to further look into the VSphere client with VCenter.

That is outstanding - that solves my problem for the moment, though I'd like it if Workstation worked correctly too.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

its good to open a Support Request with VMware Technical support to find the root cause for the issue.

If its a bug definitely they will help you by getting it fixed or they will advice a workaround.

0 Kudos