VMware Cloud Community
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VCSA, upgrade from 6.7 to 7.0?

We are running VCSA 6.7.0.4500. When we login to the web interface it is showing an Update to 7.0.1.0000. All of our hosts of course are running ESXi 6.7

Should I upgrade VCSA to version 7 even though we have no plans to upgraded hosts?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the vCenter Server area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey HendersonD​,

To be honest that is quite weird, you should not see version 7.0 unless you are actually on that version. I recommend you to ugprade to vCenter 7.0 U1 as that is the latest stable version and the HTML5 client has all the feature fully integrated on it.

Flash Web Client will be deprecated in December of this year and is still required by version 6.7 to do some actions.

0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I thought the same thing. I have updated our two VCSA servers several times but all under version 6.7

Can VCSA be upgraded to version 7.0.1 under just the Update area after I login?

I have read a few articles that talk about standing up a fresh VCSA when moving to version 7 and copying settings

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

For updating to VCSA 7.0 U1 from 6.7 you will need to use the ISO and run the "Upgrade" Wizard but if you are in VCSA 7.0 you can use the Update area from inside the VAMI.

Regarding the copy of the files I am quite unsure about this because the only transferring method I know is for copying files from external databases to the internal Postgres database: Transferring Data from an Existing vCenter Server Appliance. ​I think this is not your situation as you are using VCSA 6.7.

0 Kudos