VMware Cloud Community
bakerjw1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCSA VM hardware compatibility Update from 5.5 to 6.7 fails.

I have 2 small ESXi Datacenters, one for production (5 ESXi servers all running ) and one for test purposes (3 ESXi servers). All Servers are running VMware ESXi, 6.7.0, 17167734 and updating properly.

I recently I changed our Windows based VCenter web client to VCSAs. We are not a large implementation so it was not too big of a deal and it does work much better now that update manager is fully implemented in HTML5.

On the production datacenter, server ESXi01 houses both VCSAs which we call VSphere01 for managing the production datacenter and VSphere02 for managing the test datacenter. Both of these VCSAs were installed off of the same installation media a couple of days apart.

On both of these VCSAs, the Updates tab showed a VM Hardware compatibility upgrade available. This takes these VCSAs from ESXi 5.5 to ESXi 6.7.

On VSphere02, the VCSA for the test datacenter updated fine with no issues.
on VSphere01, the VCSA for the production datacenter fails with a non descript error.

bakerjw1_0-1614786257259.png

I verified DNS entries for VSphere01 and VSphere02.
I also verified that the Appliance Management configurations are the same for VSphere01 and VSphere02.
Both VCSAs show in their summary. 

• Guest OS: VMware Photon OS (64-bit)
  • Compatibility: ESXi 6.7 and later (VM version 14)

Under settings, VM Options, General options, the guest OS is listed as Other 3.x Linux (64-Bit)

I have no idea of what log files should be checked to determine where to start with this.
Any guidance or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

You don't need to or should you upgrade the vcsa hardware

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1010675

"Modification of the virtual hardware version on the vCenter Server Appliance is not supported. Likewise you should not manually install any additional version of VMware Tools inside the guest OS of the vCenter Server Appliance"