VMware Cloud Community
Dryv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VCSA: VM Tools

Hi Guys,

I have installed the VCSA (VMware VirtualCenter 5.5.0 build-3142196) and when I looking under Summary/General under VMware Tools its populated with "? Running (3rd Party/Independent)"

Is this correct behaviour?

When I try to a do a VMware Tools Install/Upgrade (right the VM in VI Client --> Guest --> Install/Upgrade VMware Tools, then select Automatic Tools Upgrade) I get an error:

vix error code = 21009

is this normal?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes.

Exactly.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Check https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=21299...

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
Dryv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response MauroBonder. I did in fact come across this kb before posting but discarded it based on the following:

1. Vcsa is SUSE Linux but the KB refers to Red Hat Linux

2. The KB refers to a file \tmp\vmware-root. However there is actually no file in this location by this name. \tmp\vmware-root  is actually a folder and not a file. .. so should the folder and all of its contents be deleted?

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I have installed the VCSA (VMware VirtualCenter 5.5.0 build-3142196) and when I looking under Summary/General under VMware Tools its populated with "? Running (3rd Party/Independent)"

Is this correct behaviour?

Yes.

VMware KB: VMware support for open-vm-tools

virtual machine with open-vm-tools displays Guest managed or 3rdParty/unmanaged in vSphere Client. What does this mean?

This means that vCenter Server cannot be used to install upgrades of open-vm-tools software in that virtual machine. Instead, you should manage the installation and update of open-vm-tools from within each guest operating system using the native package manager, such as yum or apt. You should expect to get updates of open-vm-tools in sync with the installation of updates and patches in the guest operating system or the virtual appliance.

The message Guest managed or 3rdParty/unmanaged does not imply a support status for open-vm-tools or the guest operating system. The support status of operating system releases is published in the VMware Compatibility Guide and open-vm-tools distributed by OS vendor and OS communities for use with certified operating system releases is fully supported by VMware.

Note: 3rdParty/unmanaged does not change the support commitment by VMware on a specific environment, as long as OS-vendor supported open-vm-tools are used on an Operating System certified by VMware. For more information, For more information, see VMware Compatibility Guide.

Normally when you patching or upgrade vcsa, it will be included vmware tools updated.

0 Kudos
Dryv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Okay, so effectively what you are saying is:

1. I don't need to worry about updating the tools in this case.

2. When I upgrade my appliance the vm tools will likely be updated as part of the appliance upgrade

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes.

Exactly.

0 Kudos
Dryv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good man. .. Thanks for detailed responses and of course your time!

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Np. You are welcome.

0 Kudos