VMware Cloud Community
gouravsinha29
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCSA Backup configuration on SMB

I am trying to configure backup for my 6.7 appliance but it seems like SMB is not supported. What I heard from vmware that in VCSA6.7 we have SMB supported. So am I missing something in here. I am configuring it on my file server which definately have SMB configured thats why user across the environment are able to use that. But VCSA does not seems to recgnise it. Anyone faced this before ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
berndweyand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

if you are a windows guy you can try it with ftp - works smootless

View solution in original post

8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Which Update/Build are you currently using?
SMB and NFS as backup locations have been added with version 6.7 Update 2.

André

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

try an administrative share (like \\server\c$\.... ) .

but take a snapshot before testing. i had massive problems with smb backup (6.7U3) - it killed my vcenter twice. finally i switched to scp and its working for over a year without problems

Ajay1988
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Check   https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/70646?lang=en_US 

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
0 Kudos
gouravsinha29
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am afraid thats not what I am facing. I have SMBv1 enabled and it not at all takes the location. It says SMB is not supported as you can see in screenshot.

0 Kudos
gouravsinha29
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah that means I should probably not go with SMB option as it is not much reliable. I need to figure out SCP server(Linux appliance) to configure the backup. I am more of a windows guy(lol) so dont know much about SCP configuration. Do I have to enable this protocol on one of linux server I will be enabling to have backup stored or no changes require on server just server name and a shared path is enough of it?

0 Kudos
gouravsinha29
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have vCenter Appliance 6.7 Update 3b (6.7.0.42000). Not sure what else is needed.

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

if you are a windows guy you can try it with ftp - works smootless

hongminzhou
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have exactly same issue. When I configure SMB share as back up target, it says "SMB location is unsupported". 

If SMB share is a Windows based SMB share, it worked. But for some security reason of customer, Windows based SMB share is no longer possible in the environment. So an SMB share from NAS storage was provisioned. Then I started getting the error "SMB location is unsupported". Is Windows based SMB share only supported? I could not find any VMware document about that.

0 Kudos