srodenburg
Expert
Expert

VCSA 7 U1 Admin-GUI in endless loop saying "Installation failed"

Jump to solution

Since a couple of days ago, literally out of the blue, the "port 5480 GUI" **always** shows a popup saying "Installation failed, failed verify config file".
This popup appears directly after logging in with root, no matter what I do. Clearing browser caches, use another browser, typing in a URL of a certain feature directly (summary for example). No matter what I do, it always re-directs to the URL "https://vcenter.mydomain.local:5480/#/ui/update/progress"  (FQDN obfuscated for privacy reasons)
When I click "Close" (or the cross in the red bar), the popup goes away and re-appears again in an endless loop.

This "just started happening". The last patch was a while ago (early October) and the "5480 GUI" has worked fine since then. I noticed the error for the first time today and nothing was done to this VCSA in the meantime.

I wanted to update to the latest patch anyway so that's what I did today (from the command-line). It went fine and VCSA works like a charm but I still get this error when I open the GUI on port 5480.

As this is my Lab, creating a support-case is not an option (they have enough on their minds).  Googling this error (and some creative variants) results in 0 hits.

The update-log file (/var/log/vmware/applmgmt/software-packages.log) exists but is empty (0 bytes) but that's probably normal after a succesful patch/update (I normally tail that file to see what the updater is doing during an upgrade/patch). There are two tarballs with older logs though whose dates match today's patching and from early October when the previous patch was applied (and the 5480 GUI worked fine after that as I've said before).

Does anyone have an idea how to go about troubleshooting this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
3 Replies
srodenburg
Expert
Expert

Ok so I guess i'm the only one with this problem. Fair enough. Any hints into which VCSA log-file could hold useful information about this issue?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
srodenburg
Expert
Expert

Hi André,

That was the direction I needed. Thanks. My error was different from the article but the general idea is the same: update finished but not registered as such.

The upgrade from 7.0.1.00100 to 7.0.1.00200 was successful, according to the console (I never update via the GUI) and everything worked fine (except the 5480 console).
Still, the file "/etc/applmgmt/appliance/software_update_state.conf" still had this (incorrect) content:

"state": "UPDATES_PENDING",
"version": "7.0.1.00100",

Those "succeeded" files in "/var/log/vmware/upgrade" where also not present. Removing the "software_update_state.conf", creating those 3 "succeeded" files and restarting the applmgt as per article fixed the problem.

0 Kudos