I am restoring VCSA 7.0 from Backup which is on FTP. while Step 1 is completed successfully step 2 is getting the error with below statement
Metadata and system validation failed.
Error: Unknown system resource type vtsdblog
Error: Unknown system resource type vtsdb
and so on attached.
I have installed the VCSA 7.0 with default settings and backup taken on FTP. Now when restoring it from backup it throws these errors any clue please ?
Yes, all versions are same. However as I am testing the backup and restore, I am now reconfiguring the VCSA (as it's in my test lab) and again take the backup and will try to restore.
I will update here my result once I repeat the same.
A few days ago i restored a VCSA 7.0.0a from my backup, firtst i got the metadata validation error too, and a additional info that i should increase the memory from 12 to 16 gb, after i had done that and tryed the restore again all works fine.
So it is important that the new VCSA VM is identical to the source VM...
That error is a horrible one, mostly because it doesn't really tell you what's going on...
The 'backup-metadata.json' in the backup has a section that indicates the size (in GB) that each volume requires to restore. If that size doesn't match up with (or is exceeded by) volumes in your new vCenter, it throws that error.
Other posters are correct: if you stop the new vCenter, and balloon the size of the volumes to the size expected by the JSON data, it will pass muster.
Alternatively, if you know that the existing volumes will store the restored data (ie, you know from before that >25% free space was available in the volume), you can instead edit the JSON for the volume to be the size-as-deployed instead of the original size. This is one nice way to reduce space consumed by the VCSA: in my case, I was able to shrink the "seat" and "vtsdb" volumes from 550G each to 25G, and still have *tons* of capacity still in the volumes.
Just wanted to reply to say thanks.
That saved me a lot of head ache and worked perfectly as described.
Needed to turn on SSH and log physically into the new instance though, picking up the right sizes with fdisk -l.
That's so annoying...