VMware Cloud Community
rwardley
Contributor
Contributor

VCSA 7.0.1 upgrade to U1c - Installation failed - Exception occured in install precheck phase

If you get the above error when trying the upgrade to 7.0.1 Update 1c using the URL (online) as a source, then download the patch ISO.

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/patch#search

Mount it, and use the 'Check CD ROM' option.

I found that the update then completes without this error.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes, I see this interesting and not sure when this is failing. I believe someone has already mentioned in their blogs and pointed to an issue in file /etc/applmgmt/appliance/software_update_state.conf

https://rnelson0.com/2020/10/30/vcenter-7-upgrade-fails-with-exception-occurred-in-install-precheck-

I believe the SR with logs and the above file gives more info to GSS to track the issue specifically

thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
srodenburg
Expert
Expert

In Ernest, updating VCSA via the appliance-GUI is still so broken. It randomly works/not-works and i'm fed up gambling with VCSA installations. To avoid trouble, I only use the command-line which is bullet-proof.

1. Shutdown the vCenter and make a snapshot  (do NOT takes snapshots of VCSA while it runs: high chance of DB Problems after reverting)
2. Power it back on and wait 5 to 10 minutes for it to completely boot AND start all services
3. SSH into the VCSA as root
4. Attach the patch ISO to the vCenter VM
5. while in the appliance shell (which is not a bash-shell) enter: "software-packages install --iso --acceptEulas"
6. enter the  administrator@vsphere.local  password when asked (VCSA 7.x only)
7. let the installer do its thing. It can take a while. Sometimes it does not need a reboot but when it does it will tell you.
8. reboot by entering "shutdown reboot -r "patched to version XYZ"   (this obviously throws you out of the SSH session)
9. wait 5 to 10 minutes for it to completely boot AND start all the services. Be patient.
10. when happy with the result, delete the snapshot

This is the only sure-fire way to patch VCSA appliances and if you run an HA config, it's the only way anyway.

eamess
Contributor
Contributor

Hello !

software-packages install --iso --acceptEulas
[2021-02-10T09:46:41.041] : ISO mounted successfully
[2021-02-10T09:46:41.041] : UpdateInfo: Using product version 7.0.1.00200 and build 17327517
[2021-02-10T09:46:41.041] : Target VCSA version = 7.0.1.00300
[2021-02-10 09:46:41,880] : Running requirements script.....
[2021-02-10T09:46:48.041] : ISO unmounted successfully
[2021-02-10T09:46:48.041] : Packages in appliance are up to date with update payload, Nothing to install

My version install 7.0.1.00200, not upgraded.

0 Kudos
srodenburg
Expert
Expert

Hmmm that's weird. I patched my Lab's 7.0.1.200 (v7 U1c) to .300 (v7 U1d) a couple of days ago and it went fine.

This is what my VCSA says since the upgrade:

VMware vCenter Server 7.0.1.00300

Connected to service

* List APIs: "help api list"
* List Plugins: "help pi list"
* Launch BASH: "shell"

Command> shell
Shell access is granted to root
root@vcenter01 [ ~ ]# vpxd -v
VMware VirtualCenter 7.0.1 build-17491160

Looks like the U1d installer, when running on your VCSA, has a fluke. Download the patch "FP" iso again (maybe it was re-released) or else contact support.

Maybe related:  Version 7 U1d (build 17491160) is still not listed on the official KB-article listing all vCenter versions. It stops at v7 U1c. The article was last updated on January 25th 2021.
Build numbers and versions of VMware vCenter Server (2143838)

Version 7 U1d can be downloaded normally though.

0 Kudos
srodenburg
Expert
Expert

Hmm guess I spoke too soon'ish. The upgrade to U1d went well according to the console and the regular WebGUI works fine. But when I go to the Admin console on port 5480 I immediately get this error popup in and endless loop.

Screenshot 2021-02-10 at 16.27.54.png

Something similar happened when I upgraded from 7 U1b to U1c.

Not loving the folks that wrote the code for the last two upgrade-software so much right now... 

0 Kudos
eamess
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same thing, I created a ticket, we will expect what support will say

0 Kudos
srodenburg
Expert
Expert

I fixed the issue myself. It's essentially the same kind of fix I used after the upgrade to 7 U1c

One again, the file  /etc/applmgmt/appliance/software_update_state.conf  was not updated with the final status. My Upgrade was successful but on my VCSA, the file still read:

root@vcenter01 [ /etc/applmgmt/appliance ]# cat software_update_state.conf
{
"state": "UPDATES_PENDING",
"version": "7.0.1.00300",
"latest_query_time": "2021-02-03T00:25:27Z",
"operation_id": "/storage/core/software-update/stage_operation"

The line "UPDATES_PENDING"  gives it away.

Do the following:

SSH in and check if there are 3 files in  /var/log/vmware/upgrade  called:
  prechecks-succeeded
  export-succeeded
  import-succeeded

If they don't exist, create with the "touch" command like this:
  cd /var/log/vmware/upgrade
  touch prechecks-succeeded
  touch export-succeeded
  touch import-succeeded

Then:

service-control --stop applmgmt
rm -rf /etc/applmgmt/appliance/software_update_state.conf
service-control --start applmgmt

Wait 10 seconds, open the 5480 console in your browser again. Log in and the error should be gone.

@ the website administrator:  the output is a mess and not at all what the editor shows. I had all the lines nicely spaced out and in the editor it still likes like that there, but the end-result here is that most lines are pressed on top of each other.

0 Kudos
bhirsch
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've seen this same issue a number of times when trying to perform the update through vCenter Server Management console. The process i follow is to take a snapshot of the VCSA, then reboot the VCSA. Stage the update, then install it. So far it has worked everytime. In the past i would just try to run install and run into the same issue you have described.

0 Kudos