VMware Cloud Community
StuDuncanHPE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VCSA 6.7u3 install in empty environment fails

So, I was handed new vlans last week.  Need to spin up the first infrastructure vcenter on them in order to run services.

Currently, I have no routing, no dns, no dhcp, no ntp.  Just a host, a datastore, a mgmt network, a switch, and my laptop directly connected to the switch.

Set up the host running ESXi6.7u2.

Trying to install VCSA 6.7u3, via the win32 gui from the installer ISO.

I don't put in a FQDN as it's optional - I've tried with a FQDN, and with it's IP as FQDN, doesn't work either.

Stage 1 installs fine.

Stage 2 takes 4 hours to get about 50% of the way through, very slowly starting up the services. At 50%, it's at starting vcenter service.

Then it times out and the installer quits. Sometimes it gives the 'internal error 2' before quitting, sometimes it just quits.

I *know* that the 'right' way is to have DNS & NTP functional.  But there has to be a way to install it in a new environment that has no network services at all, so you can spin up said network services.

I've verified that /etc/hosts has the IP pointing to photon-machine ie default hostname if no FQDN is installed.

I vaguely remember reading about a timeout setting for the installer, and setting it longer, but cannot find that information (if it was more than just a fever dream).

Any and all suggestions welcome.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Only a thought, but if this is vCSA is meant for production use, I'd simply deploy a dummy server in evaluation mode, setup DNS, and enable the NTP server service on it. All in all, this may take 30 minutes, and will allow you to install the vCSA without any "hacks". Once the proper DNS/NTP is available, you can then simply change the settings.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Only a thought, but if this is vCSA is meant for production use, I'd simply deploy a dummy server in evaluation mode, setup DNS, and enable the NTP server service on it. All in all, this may take 30 minutes, and will allow you to install the vCSA without any "hacks". Once the proper DNS/NTP is available, you can then simply change the settings.

André

0 Kudos
StuDuncanHPE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Appreciate that, and had thought of that - just didn't want to duplicate work if there was a way that VCSA could be installed without it.

0 Kudos
StuDuncanHPE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Put in a temp DNS server, and it installed quickly.

Given the nature of vcenter, there definitely should be an option for a 'completely new environment' for cases like this that doesn't rely on any outside services.

Now I just have to go fight windows DNS stupidity to get the name to resolve...

https://superuser.com/questions/495759/why-is-ping-unable-to-resolve-a-name-when-nslookup-works-fine...

0 Kudos