CANO28
Contributor
Contributor

VCSA 6.5 to 7.0 Upgrade failing

We have two Vcenter servers and we were able to upgrade one, but the second one makes it all the way to the last steep gives out this error. "Error in method invocation name 'appliancePnid' is not defined" we check the PNID and Hostname and they are correct.

CANO28_0-1632422648689.png

 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

check the FQDN name write them exactly as they are (upper and lower case). Check if the records in the DNS were created correctly.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
CANO28
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Alex

I've run these commands and the hostname comes back properly on all of them with the correct Upper and Lower case, and DNS is the same.  To verify this needs to be done in the old 6.5 vCenter I'm upgrading correctly?

/usr/lib/vmware-vmafd/bin/vmafd-cli get-pnid --server-name localhost

hostname -f

com.vmware.appliance.version1.networking.dns.hostname.get

/opt/vmware/share/vami/vami_config_net

 

-Ariel

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hai,

in the DNS there must also be the record of the new vCenter.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
CANO28
Contributor
Contributor

We tried that as well and same error. This one is a weird tricky one, if I find a solution I will update this post.

 

-Ariel

0 Kudos
CANO28
Contributor
Contributor

We found a mismatch in the logs. The vmdir.nodes.list has uppercase in the name, whiles the vecs.cert.dnsnames & vecs.cert.cn is all lowercase. Now we are trying to see if the vmdir.nodes.list can be updated or modified to fix the the name.

/var/log/vmware/upgrade/requirements-upgrade-runner.log

 },
"requirementMismatchSpecs": [],
"installArguments": {},
"extraArguments": {
"vecs.cert.ipaddresses": "x.x.x.x",
"vecs.cert.dnsnames": "xxx-vcenter1.xxxxxxx.com",
"vecs.cert.cn": "xxxx-vcenter1.xxxxxxx.com",
"vmdir.nodes.list": "XXX-xXXX.xxxxxxx.com,",
"appliance.net.pnid": "XXX-vCenter1.xxxxxxx.com"
}

0 Kudos
McBobby
Contributor
Contributor

What was the resolution? I'm experiencing the same issue.

0 Kudos
CANO28
Contributor
Contributor

We believe we  narrowed down the PNID issue to a mismatch.  We couldn't figure out how to Fix the Hostname under here  'vmdir.nodes.list' to match the rest of the entries, this had a Capital and the others were lowercase. We decided to build a new VCSA from Scratch and creating the agreement and then just recreate settings and configuration (manual work). We were on a time-frame and this only took us a few hours. Once everything was migrated we Decommissioned the old one.

All of these Need to Match Exactly with DNS

'vmdir.nodes.list':

"vecs.cert.dnsnames":

"vecs.cert.cn":

"appliance.net.pnid":

KB to Agreement

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2127057

KB to Decommission

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2106736

 

0 Kudos
maksym007
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Interesting that not going smoothly

0 Kudos