VMware Cloud Community
zoomprofile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCSA 6.5 - Update Manager not work

Hi,

I have successfully migrated from VC 6.0 for Windows to VCSA 6.5 as I wanted to get freed Windows Server license. All is working correctly except Update Manager. I'm still getting error "VMware vSphere Update Manager had an unknown error. Check the events and log files for details." when I tried to scan for updates. I'm new to VCSA, so please which logs exactly I need to look in? on VCSA ? or ESXi itself?

Thanks

Tags (1)
16 Replies
sanjeebkumar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Are you still using the windows VUM or where exactly you are seeing the error ?

What operation you performed that kead to the error? Can you send the snapshot of that error?

if possible can you upload the vcsupport bundle too ?

BTW VUM is too migrated  to the VCSA and the VUM on the windows machine will not be functional.

0 Kudos
zoomprofile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

1. vCenter 6.0 (from windows) was migrated to VCSA 6.5 (appliance)

2. once migrated to version 6.5 it's no longer using windows WUM as in 6.5 it's already bundled in VCSA

3. snapshot below - it's happening when I click on "Scan for Updates" and then submit task, error is shown immediately.

4. due confidential information i'll keep support bundle for myself

WUM_VCSA.PNG

0 Kudos
PuliSukumar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for answering. Few more questions.

1) Was it working before migration?

2) Which Depot you were using? vmware or customised depot.

3) As part of migration old ISOs uploaded to VUM are deleted. May be that's contributing to this error.

4) Can you upload 6.5 ISO and try to scan and see how it behaves.

Thanks,

Sukumar.

0 Kudos
timweaver23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
Nahida123
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Whats is the current version of ESXI you are using?

Please click on Critical Host patches baseline. Then you will be able to see list of applicable baselines. It could be due to conflicting VIBs or the test cert issue.

Please provide logs from ESX and VUM.

VUM logs can be found on VCSA at  /var/log/vmware/vmware-updatemgr/vum-server 

0 Kudos
damondawson
Contributor
Contributor

Any luck on resolving this?

I'm getting the same exact issue. 

Before upgrading to VCSA 6.5 I removed WVUM so that while performing the upgrade of VCSA 6.0 to 6.5 it did not have to try to migrate the WVUM because I wanted a fresh build of Update Manager.

After upgrading to VCSA 6.5 I was able to config Update Manager and patch the existing ESX hosts running 6.0.x. I also was able to and upgrade all my ESX hosts the latest build of 6.5 from Update Manager once I imported the ESXi 6.5 ISO and created the baseline (so it was working great).

Today, I just wanted to scan a host to make sure it was compliant and am now getting the same error.  Note: This is the first scan I did after everything was running the latest build of ESXi (v6.5.0, 4564106) so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I don't see anything in "Events" that indicate a problem.

Where are the logs for VCSA 6.5 Update Manager located so I can review?

0 Kudos
Zarathustra82
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. I managed to figure out where the log files are:

/var/log/vmware/vmware-updatemgr/vum-server/vmware-vum-server-log4cpp.log

Now, when scanning I'm getting the real error in the log:

[2016-11-29 16:17:03:514 'HostUpdateDepotManager' 140193595107072 ERROR]  [patchDepotManager, 221] Failed to get filesize for: /storage/updatemgr/patch-store/hostupdate/10960002/metadata_1465307026.zip, please check if the file exists and accessible. Error: boost::filesystem::file_size: No such file or directory: "/storage/updatemgr/patch-store/hostupdate/10960002/metadata_1465307026.zip"

[2016-11-29 16:17:03:527 'SingleHostScanTask.SingleHostScanTask{191}' 140193595107072 ERROR]  [vciTaskBase, 565] Task execution has failed: boost::filesystem::file_size: No such file or directory: "/storage/updatemgr/patch-store/hostupdate/10960002/metadata_1465307026.zip"

It seems it looks for a metadata file that doesn't exist. I navigated to /storage/updatemgr/patch-store/hostupdate/ but of course, there is no folder with that number nor a file called metadata_1465307026.zip anywhere on the appliance. I found this kb article : https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=20502...

but this has the solution listed as searching for that file and placing it in the folder mentioned in the log, which is kind of absurd, especially when the file doesn't exist.

So any further help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Bill_Oyler
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I experienced the exact same error performing a "Scan" in Update Manager after an upgrade from 6.0U2 to 6.5.  This happened on all (3) of my vCenter servers.  All (3) were running the Windows version of vCenter and Update Manager on the same box.  In all (3) cases, the error in the Update Manager log file is essentially the same as yours, except the missing file is named differently in each case.  I suspect the number after the "metadata" is a random number, which is why our results are slightly different.  It's interesting to note that the first two vCenters classify the updates as "Unknown" while the third is from Nimble.  This suggests that perhaps all of them are third-party.  I do remember loading the Nimble Connect Manager (NCM) extension into the 3rd vCenter Update Manager patch repository.  Perhaps the Update Manager migration routine from v6.0 to v6.5 isn't smart enough to migrate 3rd party extensions entirely.  It appears as though it migrates the high-level metadata, but not any of the actual files/content/zips.  In all (3) cases, the files are in fact missing from the /storage/updatemgr/patch-store/hostupdate path.

In any case, I'd like to know if there is simply a way to "clear" the Update Manager repository to factory defaults.  In Windows, I would simply perform an uninstall and reinstall of Update Manager whenever I needed to reset the patch repository.  How is this done on the VCSA 6.5?

Below are my log file snippets, from each vCenter:

vCenter #1:

[2016-12-08 11:27:30:663 'HostUpdateDepotManager' 140700199155456 ERROR]  [patchDepotManager, 221] Failed to get filesize for: /storage/updatemgr/patch-store/hostupdate/Unknown/metadata_1471377724.zip, please check if the file exists and accessible. Error: boost::filesystem::file_size: No such file or directory: "/storage/updatemgr/patch-store/hostupdate/Unknown/metadata_1471377724.zip"

[2016-12-08 11:27:30:676 'SingleHostScanTask.SingleHostScanTask{58}' 140700199155456 ERROR]  [vciTaskBase, 565] Task execution has failed: boost::filesystem::file_size: No such file or directory: "/storage/updatemgr/patch-store/hostupdate/Unknown/metadata_1471377724.zip"

vCenter #2:

[2016-12-08 11:27:57:275 'HostUpdateDepotManager' 139930102200064 ERROR]  [patchDepotManager, 221] Failed to get filesize for: /storage/updatemgr/patch-store/hostupdate/Unknown/metadata_1471377323.zip, please check if the file exists and accessible. Error: boost::filesystem::file_size: No such file or directory: "/storage/updatemgr/patch-store/hostupdate/Unknown/metadata_1471377323.zip"

[2016-12-08 11:27:57:281 'SingleHostScanTask.SingleHostScanTask{65}' 139930102200064 ERROR]  [vciTaskBase, 565] Task execution has failed: boost::filesystem::file_size: No such file or directory: "/storage/updatemgr/patch-store/hostupdate/Unknown/metadata_1471377323.zip"

vCenter #3:

[2016-12-08 11:28:10:166 'HostUpdateDepotManager' 140109239031552 ERROR]  [patchDepotManager, 221] Failed to get filesize for: /storage/updatemgr/patch-store/hostupdate/Nimble/metadata_1471376533.zip, please check if the file exists and accessible. Error: boost::filesystem::file_size: No such file or directory: "/storage/updatemgr/patch-store/hostupdate/Nimble/metadata_1471376533.zip"

[2016-12-08 11:28:10:172 'SingleHostScanTask.SingleHostScanTask{76}' 140109239031552 ERROR]  [vciTaskBase, 565] Task execution has failed: boost::filesystem::file_size: No such file or directory: "/storage/updatemgr/patch-store/hostupdate/Nimble/metadata_1471376533.zip"

Bill Oyler Systems Engineer
0 Kudos
efiumana
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Great Bill,

you give me the solution.

I had the same problem and i solved copying the missing patch from the old vCenter.

I have copied it in the missing path and et-voila, now i can scan and remediate my hosts.

Hope i can help you to resolve the problem.

Probably the migration tools copy only the know patch and not the customs.

Bye

Enrico

0 Kudos
efiumana
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i declare victory too soon...

ok, the scan now it's ok, but when i try to remediate the erro come back again.

I have looked at the vum logs and i found that it's looking for a windows pathname (eg C:\Windows\temp\....)

I think that during the conversion from vcenter windows 6.0 something has not been converted correctly.

i think that vmWare have to review their migration tool...

0 Kudos
Bill_Oyler
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for reporting back on the troubleshooting with this issue.  I had already deleted my old Windows-based vCenter servers, unfortunately, so I wasn't able to manually copy the metadata files.  It sounds like you've definitely found some bugs in the vCenter 6.5 Update Manager migration tool.  To solve this problem, all we need is a routine that will reset the Update Manager vPostgres database (and metadata files) to factory defaults.  Does anyone know of such a routine?  Possible to uninstall and reinstall just the Update Manager component on the VCSA 6.5?

Thanks,

Bill

0 Kudos
efiumana
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes, you are true.

i thoink too that this is the way, re-initialize the db

i'm looking for it but i can't find enything...

I found also some wrong reference in th db such as example in the table vci_packages_files i found in the column download_url this string:

C:\Windows\TEMP\offlineBundlehdrdxxrk.tmp/vib20/esx-ui/VMware_bootbank_esx-ui_1.10.1-4493986.vib

i think that the migration tools has failed in same way...

0 Kudos
efiumana
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK sorry, this is the last post

i think that i solved it

i have found the command for reset the vum db.it's located in /lib/vmware-updatemgr/bin

nad the command is updatemgr-util

so these are the steps i have followed:

1) stopped vum service ( service-control --stop vmware-updatemgr )

2) reset te db ( /lib/vmware-updatemgr/bin/updatemgr-util reset-db )

3) started the vum service ( service-control --start vmware-updatemgr )

In those steps the only thing i have lost are the source repository ( all the repository, also the official vmware )

so i reccomend to write down the path.

I hope this can be helpful

bye and merry Christmas and happy new year

Bill_Oyler
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thank you!  You fixed it!  Your timing is very good, it looks like VMware just posted a KB with the same procedure.  Thanks again, this was very helpful.  Merry Christmas!

Resetting VMware Update Manager Database on a vCenter Server Appliance 6.5 (2147284)

https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2147284

0 Kudos
Dickiebird
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

If anyone is getting the same issue on 6.7 just follow the same procedure but replace the reset-db command with this one:

vmware-updatemgr/bin/updatemgr-utility.py reset-db

0 Kudos
Adrian_T_
Contributor
Contributor

I have sovled this on my VCSA 6.7 without resetting DB.

By accessing the old Windows VC Update Manager Repository Datastore (where I migrated from).

Under filepath: C:\Users\All Users\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Data\hostupdate\INT I found the medatada*.zip file

and copy it to /storage/updatemgr/patch-store/hostupdate/INT and it works on the VCSA.

0 Kudos