VMware Cloud Community
yak9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCSA 6.5 AutoDeploy GUI error

Hello,

I am trying to run small AutoDeploy PoC for one of our customers. Version of vSphere in question is 6.5, therefore, I'm trying to implement GUI-based solution.

My deployment consists of external PSC and one vCenter.

I have enabled and started AutoDeploy and Image Builder services.

I have successfully added software depot and management profile via GUI, but when I've tried to create Deploy Rule, very strange error have appeared:

Something went wrong while converting items to pxe profile:(vmodl.fault.SystemError) {

dynamicType = <unset>,

dynamicProperty = (vmodl.DynamicProperty) [],

msg = 'Invalid Fault',

faultCause = (imagebuilder.fault.IbFault) {

dynamicType = <unset>,

msg = 'Unable to obtain XML schema: Error loading schema XML data: Error reading file \'/usr/lib/vmware-imagebuilder/etc/schemas/vib20-extensibility.rng\': failed to load external entity "/usr/lib/vmware-imagebuilder/etc/schemas/vib20-extensibility.rng".',

faultCause = <unset>,

faultMessage = (vmodl.LocalizableMessage) [

(vmodl.LocalizableMessage) {

dynamicType = <unset>,

key = '',

arg = (vmodl.KeyAnyValue) [],

message = 'Unable to obtain XML schema: Error loading schema XML data: Error reading file \'/usr/lib/vmware-imagebuilder/etc/schemas/vib20-extensibility.rng\': failed to load external entity "/usr/lib/vmware-imagebuilder/etc/schemas/vib20-extensibility.rng".'

}

],

errorCode = 0,

errorMessage = (vmodl.LocalizableMessage) {

dynamicType = <unset>,

key = '',

arg = (vmodl.KeyAnyValue) [],

message = 'Unable to obtain XML schema: Error loading schema XML data: Error reading file \'/usr/lib/vmware-imagebuilder/etc/schemas/vib20-extensibility.rng\': failed to load external entity "/usr/lib/vmware-imagebuilder/etc/schemas/vib20-extensibility.rng".'

},

additionalData = (vmodl.KeyAnyValue) []

},

faultMessage = (vmodl.LocalizableMessage) [],

reason = 'Method DepotManagerDownloadVib threw undeclared fault of type imagebuilder.fault.IbFault'

}

Looks like some files are missing. I've checked VCSA file system, and there were no .RNG files in /usr/lib/vmware-imagebuilder/etc/schemas/ directory, only .RNC ones.

I did fresh VCSA install but error persisted.

Any ideas?

Tags (3)
5 Replies
CymPhreak
Contributor
Contributor

From what I've seen so far in my testing of Auto Deploy (Image Builder in particular) is that those errors occur when the image acceptance level drops to CommunitySupported. Which acceptance level are your images using?

0 Kudos
gunzour
Contributor
Contributor

I am seeing this error also. The image I am using has an acceptance level of "Partner Supported".  It's the HPE 6.0 U2 image, downloaded from my.vmware.com.

0 Kudos
slprice
Contributor
Contributor

I am also using the HPE ESXi 6.5 U2 depot. I found that copying the vib20-extensibility.rng file (attached) from the vSphere PowerCLI folder on my PC to /usr/lib/vmware-imagebuilder/etc/schemas on the vCenter Server Appliance allowed me to create a deploy rule.

sidharths
Contributor
Contributor

Are you trying to deploy vSphere 6.5 image directly from vmware download center. Sometimes the error results if your hardware accepts custom images fused with the relevant drivers in it. Contact your hardware service provider and check if they have provided custom .iso for that particular image

Also with vSphere 6.5 comes feature called SecureBoot which is available only with the selected hardware so far, please check during install if SecureBoot is Disabled

0 Kudos
jseide86
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

slprice​ Wow, this worked like a charmed. Copied from my own PowerCLI directory on my workstation into the folder on the VCSA, and then creating deploy rules instantly started working. Thanks!

0 Kudos