VMware Cloud Community
microkid
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VCSA 5.5 U1 very slow?

I updates a ESXi server to 5.5 U1 yesterday and also updated the VCSA to 5.5 U1. Since then, when connected to the VCSA using the Vsphere Client, browsing any object is very slow. CPU usage for the VCSA goes to 100%. I already rebooted all, this made no change. Any idea what might be going on?

Tags (5)
4 Replies
brucekconvergen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've found it to be slow as molasses too... much slower than the previous 5.5 build.  Running it on VCSA in my case.

0 Kudos
dinad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

AND NOW I HAVE THE FIX ... TO SAVE ANYONE READING THROUGH THIS MESSAGE!

UN - INSTALL the web client completely ! ... And then from the 5.5 vcenter login web page you should see an option to install it ...

The option to download it is available (even with old version installed).. but sadly once you download the 'new' one you have to completely remove it as there is no repair or re-install option available...GRR!

And there is also no indication that you need a new version or anything remotely close to telling you this could be the problem or that this must be done !

Forget the tips about flash cache etc.

Once the new web client is installed all is 'normal again' in other words it is as fast as last update.

I hope this helps people.

D

UPDATE :

This fixed the speed but not the continual infrequent drop outs.. it seems the web client and/or SSO service just stops responding completely.

How much time does anyone have for these annoyances ...SIGH !

Here's the error 😞

The vSphere Client web server is initializing

The vSphere Client web server is still initializing. Please try again shortly.

VMware vSphere Documentation and Support

WHY WHY WHY ?

TOTALLY agreed !!

What are vmware doing ??? So many hardly tested BETA-LIKE product being released ?

Last version (5.1 was the fastest ever since its release) but now it's back to being even slower than the initial release.

It also has continual drop-outs and even stops responding completely.

I have tested everything else on my network and nothing has changed except the new VCSA.

Sadly I have to use this to get advanced features enabled when importing OVF.

What a silly move to drop development for the Windows C# client which most of the known world of admins use and oh boy why even bother with FLASH !

This web-client and SSO is nothing but a pain in the butt and makes admin and management such a pain.

For the die hard trouble-shooter who have the time .. the build info is :

Vendor:VMware Inc.
Appliance Name:VMware vCenter Server Appliance
Appliance Version:5.5.0.10000 Build 1624811

And that took >5 mins to get

Have tried all 3 major IE, Firefox,Chrome.... gave up waiting for chrome eventually 😞

Oh and just for the record ...how do you manage a vcenter properly when the web-client is dead ?

And ..wait for it ... how do you intend to manage individual esxi hosts when you dump the Windows client ? Oh no not command line again ?

So here's the quick fix .. which is not so quick because it means back to windows ..

Install Windows (or clone it .. but how without vcenter ...PFFT ?)

Install vcenter on it (yes we are going back to the roots)

(lots of issues in 5.1 with this like forgetting to add web-client to simple install - but don't worry who cares about wasting clients time)

use windows vcenter instead of VCSA.

If anyone can shed some (non-silver) light here I would appreciate it

In the dark

Dina

PS .. here's and error message too (this happens infrequently)

Error Stack

---------------------

TypeError: Error #1009

at com.vmware.vsphere.client.views.navigator.tree::NavTreeMediator/notifyErrorIfAny()

at com.vmware.vsphere.client.views.navigator.tree::NavTreeMediator/onGetNodeReturn()

at EventFunctor/notifyTarget()

at EventFunctor/onEvent()

at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()

at com.vmware.frinje::EventBus/dispatchEvent()

at com.vmware.frinje::CallbackUtil$/dispatchResponse()

at com.vmware.frinje::CallbackUtil$/dispatchResponseUsingRequestContext()

at com.vmware.vsphere.client.utils.navigator::EventResponseUtils$/returnError()

at com.vmware.vsphere.client.model.navigator::InventoryData/respondWithErrorToOriginator()

at com.vmware.vsphere.client.model.navigator::InventoryData/onDataServiceResponse()

at com.vmware.flexutil.proxies::BaseProxy/notify()

at com.vmware.flexutil.proxies::BaseProxy/fault()

at com.vmware.flexutil.proxies::BaseProxy/onInvocationComplete()

at OperationInvoker/faultResponseForRequest()

at OperationInvoker/fault()

at mx.rpc::AsyncToken/http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::applyFault()

at mx.rpc.events::FaultEvent/http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::callTokenResponders()

at mx.rpc::AbstractOperation/http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::dispatchRpcEvent()

at mx.rpc::AbstractInvoker/http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::faultHandler()

at mx.rpc::Responder/fault()

at mx.rpc::AsyncRequest/fault()

at mx.messaging::ChannelSet/faultPendingSends()

at mx.messaging::ChannelSet/channelFaultHandler()

at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()

at mx.messaging::Channel/connectFailed()

at mx.messaging.channels::PollingChannel/connectFailed()

at mx.messaging.channels::AMFChannel/statusHandler()

Iwan_Rahabok
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I encountered the same error too. A few times already. Upgrading the vCenter from U1 to the latest U2 does not help.

I did the usual google. Not able to find any blog or KB on this.

In my setup, it is 3 vCenter Appliance 5.5. All are now the latest U2. All use embedded DB. SSO is running on one of them.

I will ask this internally

Cheers!

e1

e1
0 Kudos
simonMPA
Contributor
Contributor

any news on this issue?

0 Kudos