VMware Cloud Community
Seonet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCSA 5.1 with Oracle Express Edition?

Hi,

is it possible use VCSA 5.1 with Oracle XE? Have you experiences with this?

Thanks

Pavel

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
spravtek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Sorry, I'm not an Oracle licensing expert Smiley Happy

This Oracle licensing FAQ may help you though: http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/Oracle_licensing

I think you could take the Oracle Standard One maybe? Though it is restricted to only 2 CPU sockets, so if you ever want more CPUs, you'll need to buy another license.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Seonet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nobody know?:-)

0 Kudos
spravtek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The documentation doesn't say it's not supported ... This doesn't mean it's a supported feature though, I guess the only way to find out is to test it and let us know so other people might benefit from it Smiley Happy

The documentation states:

The following features are not supported by the VMware vCenter Server Appliance.

Linked Mode

Microsoft SQL Server as a supported local or remote database

DB2 as a supported remote database

And that's it ... Nothing about Oracle Express ... The question you need to ask yourself is, is Oracle Express the right choice?

What are the limits of Oracle Express, didn't it used to be that Oracle Express can only use 1GB RAM? That would not be interesting when your vSphere environment grows ... Maybe for a very small lab yes ... But then you might as well use the embedded DB  (unless you want to play around with Oracle of course).

Seonet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. We dont use Oracle in our company, so I dont know about limits... Thanks.

uffff.... because we will have 100++ VMs we must use Oracle. But why I must buy 5 licence as minimum Smiley Sad. Any idea how buy only one?:)

0 Kudos
spravtek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Sorry, I'm not an Oracle licensing expert Smiley Happy

This Oracle licensing FAQ may help you though: http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/Oracle_licensing

I think you could take the Oracle Standard One maybe? Though it is restricted to only 2 CPU sockets, so if you ever want more CPUs, you'll need to buy another license.

0 Kudos
Seonet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. This link help me. You have right. Oracle One is good for me.

0 Kudos
spravtek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No problem, glad to be of help!

0 Kudos