VMware Cloud Community
AshNZ
Contributor
Contributor

VCSA 5.1 - Hardware Status Unavailable

Hi all,

When using the Windows or Web VSphere client to connect to VCSA Hardware Status Monitoring information is unavailable - well it was, but is no longer.

When clicking UPDATE or Resetting sensors the following error pops up "Hardware Monitoring Service Not Responding, the host is now powered on".

Can confirm host is powered on :smileylaugh:

If I connect direct to the ESX 5.1 host using the Windows VSphere client hardware status information is nicely displayed.

I've restarted the CIM server on the ESX server, but no difference. No firewalls exist between the ESX server and VCSA. The issue seems to be limited to VCSA being able to pick up status information from the ESX server.

Any pointers?

Cheers

Ash. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AshNZ
Contributor
Contributor

After shuttting down the VM's and manually restarting the host, without Auto Startup of VM's set, then manually starting each VM, I receive hardware status updates via VCSA through the VSphere client or web client. However I've struck another issue, Hardware Update Status does not refresh every 5 minutes and requires a manual refresh. This is similar to the following post: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/259842?start=15&tstart=0 The good thing is, Hardware Status does start to come through via VCSA.

I can recreate the inability to retrieve Hardware Status from host issue via VSphere conencted to VCSA if I auto shutdown the host using a shutdown script using PowerCLI and subsequently fix the issue by manually shutting down VM's and the host as noted in the first paragraph and bringing them back up one by one.

It looks as though the auto-startup/shutdown of VM's somehow prevents VCSA from collecting hardware status data via the CIM service on the host. In this state, even if I manually restart VCSA or the CIM service after the host is up, Hardware Status does not come through.

Anyone else struck a similar issue? We're using SNMP to monitor the host health, but it would be nice to resolve or confirm a bug with VCSA/VSphere/WebClient and Hardware Status updates.

Cheers

Ash

0 Kudos
asmok
Contributor
Contributor

Are you running 5.1.0 880146? If yes, you are not alone.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/2149115

0 Kudos