VMware Cloud Community
Skeme
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCS filling up with update downloads - safe to delete?

Hi,

I've been getting some messages in Update Manager saying "VMWare Update Manger is running out of space" - it turns out that the downloads that consitute the updates are being stored on the VCS server and these are filling up the drive that they're stored on (which happens to be the C: drive!).

I've got two (hopefully quick) questions:

1) If we've remediated our hosts through Update Manager and are fully compliant with the latest updates, is it safe to delete these files? They are stored in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Data\hostupdate\esx\ on the VCS server and total about 3.5Gb at the moment

2) How can I change where these files are downloaded to? I can't see any settings in the VCS or Update Manager software that allow you to define a path for these...I looked through the VUM admin guide document but couldn't find the answer.

Many thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can also update the download path by editing the C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\vci-integrity.xml file and entering the updated path to the patches under <patchstore>.

You need to restart the Update manager service and re-enable the plugin when you make any changes.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
xAyiDe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Actualy I have no idea if they are of importance but I have deleted them in the past time without any problems later on. It seems it just redownloads them if they are missing during upgrade.

Skeme
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for responding, it's appreciated. We've got backups of those files on tape so I'm going to be brave and delete them!

0 Kudos
xAyiDe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For your second question. This path is defined when you install VC it asks for this path. It also says to use at least 18 GB of disk for storing patches.

mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can also update the download path by editing the C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\vci-integrity.xml file and entering the updated path to the patches under <patchstore>.

You need to restart the Update manager service and re-enable the plugin when you make any changes.

0 Kudos
Skeme
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've been away for a couple of weeks (on holiday in France!) and have just caught up with these posts. Many thanks for the responses, they were spot on.

0 Kudos