vCenter

View Only
  • 1.  VCDB & SQL 2005 - DB OPTION (SQL Compatibility Level)?

Posted Oct 28, 2008 10:58 AM

Hi,

We are running VC 2.5u2 with SQL 2005 SP2 - what should the SQL Compatibility Level be set to?? Currently it is SQL 2000 (80). Can it be changed to 05 (90) and does VC need to be off for this?

Many Thanks.

• 2.  RE: VCDB & SQL 2005 - DB OPTION (SQL Compatibility Level)?

Posted Nov 10, 2008 02:05 PM

Anybody able to help??

Cheers,

Rich.

• 3.  RE: VCDB & SQL 2005 - DB OPTION (SQL Compatibility Level)?

Posted Nov 10, 2008 03:58 PM

I use SQL 2005 and my compat level is 90. There are no issues with running it in this level, and I would frankly not use compatibility mode unless I had to for older db format/sp/script support.

-KjB

• 4.  RE: VCDB & SQL 2005 - DB OPTION (SQL Compatibility Level)?

Posted Nov 10, 2008 04:02 PM

Cheers.

Do you know if it will be simply a case of backup DB and then change the option or will VC need shutting down do you think?

• 5.  RE: VCDB & SQL 2005 - DB OPTION (SQL Compatibility Level)?
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 10, 2008 04:12 PM

Cheers.

Do you know if it will be simply a case of backup DB and then change the option or will VC need shutting down do you think?

any change to SQL will require a restart, and that will shutdown the VC service when it loses communication with the SQL agent. so you should shutdown the VC service first, then make your change to SQL (90) then restart SQL, then restart your VC service.

• 6.  RE: VCDB & SQL 2005 - DB OPTION (SQL Compatibility Level)?

Posted Nov 10, 2008 04:16 PM

Nice one, Thanks very much.

Rich.

• 7.  RE: VCDB & SQL 2005 - DB OPTION (SQL Compatibility Level)?

Posted Nov 10, 2008 04:40 PM

Changing the DB compatability level for a DB can be made on the fly and does not require a restart of the SQL Server service ("SQL Server "). It is prudent to make a backup before any alter database type statement (and I would for production) but this change is relatively minor. You could also leave the VC service running during the change, but the safest option would be to stop it for the change.