VMware Cloud Community
jpoling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VCB

I am planning to implement VCB shortly. In reading the documentation, I cam across this statement:

"However, you must install a new version of VMware Tools corresponding to ESX Server in each protected virtual machine." (http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_301_201_vm_backup.pdf page 37)

What does "new version" mean? Do I need to download a version of VMware tools that is different than what I am already running in my VMs?

Our environment is VC 2.01 and ESX 3.01.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rothba
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Each version of ESX has it's own version of the tools. If you upgraded from ESX 3.0 to 3.0.1 you will need to install the VMWare tools on the Guest OS. To see if you need to upgrade select the VM, in the summary tab you will see the field "VMWare tools: out of date" if that is what you see you need to upgrade. If the field says "ok" you are all set.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
rothba
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Each version of ESX has it's own version of the tools. If you upgraded from ESX 3.0 to 3.0.1 you will need to install the VMWare tools on the Guest OS. To see if you need to upgrade select the VM, in the summary tab you will see the field "VMWare tools: out of date" if that is what you see you need to upgrade. If the field says "ok" you are all set.

0 Kudos
jpoling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you - that is what I wanted to confirm. We definitely have the latest version of tools for ESX.

0 Kudos